Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys just looking for which one is better. considerable price difference between the uni at $26 and the K&N (plus the prefilter) at $50. looking for any and all insight or opinion on both especially if theres anyone who has tried both.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
It is more of a preferance thing. I have run both and see no differences in performance or ability to filter out dirt. The K&N may take a little more maintenance than the UNI. Some people like to argue that the K&N has more airflow and thereofore lets in more dirt than a UNI. I have researched trying to find any evidence of this but have never found it. If you use a prefilter and keep it properly oiled, there are no issues. As far as my opinion/experiences, i don't prefer one over the other.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
^^That is ok too. Only reason I use a UNI or K&N is so that I do not need to get a new filter if I accidentally go too deep and get water in the filter. If you have a stock filter on the trail and get it wet, you are stuck using no filter to get back. If you have a UNI or K&N, you can have it dried out in 10minutes and your back up and running.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
^^That is ok too. Only reason I use a UNI or K&N is so that I do not need to get a new filter if I accidentally go too deep and get water in the filter. If you have a stock filter on the trail and get it wet, you are stuck using no filter to get back. If you have a UNI or K&N, you can have it dried out in 10minutes and your back up and running.
You know what bro, I never thought of it like that..I'm not a mud rider so it never crossed my mind but that point is probably the most valid point in regards to using oil/foam filters I have read..

I have a uni and it sits on the shelf looking all nice an red and yellow

·
Registered
214 Posts
did any of the sportsmans come stock with a uni filter?, because when i got my 97 sportsman it has a uni on it.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I like my Uni's. As stated, there's no real performance difference. I look at my UNI as a cost saver because I don't have to buy a new one all the time. I like being able to just wash it and re-oil it. Lost cause makes a good point on being able to dry it on the trail as well. I hadn't thought of it that way.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I chose to go with K&n for a couple reasons. It is easier to clean and re-oil. With the uni filter the oil is very tacky and collects dust much faster. With the k&n (with the outer filter installed) it seems to not collect as much dust due to the pre filter doing its job so I like that I dont have to clean it as often. I have owned both btw. Also if you get the k&n recharger kit you dont have to mash the oil into your filter to get it all soaked in. Just spray the cleaner on, wait a few minutes, wash from inside out, let it dry, and then spray the new oil on it. Either filter is a good choice. And as others have posted an oiled filter will help with keeping water out a little better and is able to be dried out on the trail...

·
Registered
805 Posts
The stock filter is the worst option of the three. Im a mechanic at a polaris dealer and I see it EVERY day. Polaris paper filters let dust right through them. K-N is better but still lets dirt in. A foam filter with the correct oil is by FAR the best. A lot of people think the factory filter is best because thats what it comes with. Polaris uses a paper filter so that you have to buy one every time it gets dirty. Foam filter oil in a foam filter has been proven best time and time again. Its just advertising and internet misinforming people about this.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
I chose to go with K&n for a couple reasons. It is easier to clean and re-oil. With the uni filter the oil is very tacky and collects dust much faster. With the k&n (with the outer filter installed) it seems to not collect as much dust due to the pre filter doing its job so I like that I dont have to clean it as often. I have owned both btw. Also if you get the k&n recharger kit you dont have to mash the oil into your filter to get it all soaked in. Just spray the cleaner on, wait a few minutes, wash from inside out, let it dry, and then spray the new oil on it. Either filter is a good choice. And as others have posted an oiled filter will help with keeping water out a little better and is able to be dried out on the trail...
Thanks for the info Rooskey.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I have a k&n for the same reasons lost cause mentioned. I kept the pre filter on and have not seen any dust/dirt behind the filter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts