Polaris ATV Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well Ive got the transmission parts installed and back in the machine. Have the secondary clutch cleaned and ready to put back on. Now have a real bad problem know. Was trying to get the spider off of the primary and the thing came apart at the wrong place. The shieve that has the fins unscrewed from the center shaft and of course being made of the materials that they are made of the threads stripped came out with them. Followed the directions in the manual now i got a pile of junk., any ideas where to get an old clutch that will fit my machine that can be used for parts?

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
That is a real problem.. The primary assembly is available from polaris but its kinda pricey like 5-700 bucks if I remember right. You could order the clutch for the scrambler so it already has the two way bearing. If you find a parts clutch you would be wise to have the final clutch assembly re balanced after mixing parts. I usually search ebay, craigslist and Facebook marketplace for used parts.

I'm assuming you used the style clutch holder that holds the fins?

·
9,843 Posts
Well Ive got the transmission parts installed and back in the machine. Have the secondary clutch cleaned and ready to put back on. Now have a real bad problem know. Was trying to get the spider off of the primary and the thing came apart at the wrong place. The shieve that has the fins unscrewed from the center shaft and of course being made of the materials that they are made of the threads stripped came out with them. Followed the directions in the manual now i got a pile of junk., any ideas where to get an old clutch that will fit my machine that can be used for parts?
What the manual don't tell you is that heat is your friend.
I'd just look for a low mileage replacement to build and use the old one for parts.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Does the service manual tell you to hold the fins on the shieve? Because that's a recipe for disaster. The best way to hold the clutch is with the crank snub style holding tool. Or do like I did and cannibalize a dead Polaris crankshaft and use that to hold the clutch.

I'm sure heat makes it easier, but I got mine off without any heat.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does the service manual tell you to hold the fins on the shieve? Because that's a recipe for disaster. The best way to hold the clutch is with the crank snub style holding tool. Or do like I did and cannibalize a dead Polaris crankshaft and use that to hold the clutch.

I'm sure heat makes it easier, but I got mine off without any heat.
The manual says to use the holding tool that you buy that hold the fins. the one made out of billet aluminium that has all the grooves cut in it. no i didnt have or buy one.held it in a four jaw chuck on a milling machine. it came apart alright, in the wrong place. used heat on spider it wouldnt move. now got a mess.shopping for a good used clutch to rebuild. now i know how not to take it apart.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When mine done that i disconnected the shift rod found it was in the shifter broken lock out laying in the bottom stopping it from selecting the gear

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Update! I brought the bike to the shop Monday and they say there was something broken in the shift assembly. Which is just outside of the transmission.

Here is a video link to the part to which I am referring.

Not the same issue or bike but same part.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts