Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RE: new to me 4x4 94 250 that the seller "forgot" to tell me several things :damnit::damnit:

Anyway - i figured out that the 4x4 wasn't working properly (that was easy), but today had a chance to ride / use it for about an hour or so. Was also testing / practicing using the plow - so I did A LOT of shifting in and out of reverse.

**** Typically I don't need to hold the override button to shift into reverse, and under that 'typical' scenario, when I do hit override, it appears to have no effect. Today, for approximately 20 minutes in the middle of my use, I could NOT shift into reverse without holding override switch (if I wasn't holding overide it would kill as I tried to shift into reverse). Then it eventually just started not requiring the override anymore and I could go in / out of reverse at will. At no time though did my 4x4 engage or work.

This would appear to indicated that I have some intermittent electrical problem.

Any thoughts / suggestion on what to do next? FWIW the 4x4 switch / light on right handle bar also typically goes on / off when you push the button but during the time that it required override switch to go into reverse the 4x4 light would not illuminate --- regardless of pushing the switch.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
there was someone having this trouble not long ago and i believe the remedy was cleaning the contacts or switch, down on the transmission.
does the reverse light come on??

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi - thanks a lot for reading/responding. Well unfort I can't say if the light came on during the short period where it would kill w/out pushing/holding the override. However, now that it is back to 'normal', yes the Reverse light works, actually i think all of the indicators on 'dash' work.

Can anyone please explain how the override button is supposed to function? Are you supposed to have to be holding the override in order to shift into reverse (without killing it) or >>>>>> What????

i obviously need a shop manual

1 - 4 of 4 Posts