Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody, because there has been such a high demand for this PDF that i dont have the time to keep up with sending out individual emails at this time in my life, i have just decided to post it for anybody who this will help now or in the future. here you guys go, hope it helps!

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Great job! Hey I'm on your side of the state F-S-Sunday going home. Were staying in Moses HOLE! Did the Tom Petty concert!

·
Registered
27 Posts
2009 / 2010 XP winch

Hello;
Thanks for the info, but I did figure it out finally after a few phone calls. The only items not in the 2009 kit was the yellow and blue wire, and the battery has been moved up front. We are all good to go now.

Thx

·
Registered
80 Posts
My 3500 lb Polaris wench did not come with cables to connect to the front battery of my 2011 850 touring and I had to make up 2- 6 ga. wires to go to the relay. Checked with the dealer and he didn't know that when they moved the battery to the front they stopped pre wiring for the wench. Bought wire and connectors at auto parts store.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is this basically the same procedure for a regular XP?

Thanks

Justin

·
Registered
59 Posts
AAAH.. Ok, I am embarassed here. I was putting on my winch and I disconnected the battery wires while mounting the contactor and when I went back to hook everything there is a wire I am not sure if it is + or - The obvious main ground and main + (red boot)plus the wires from the relay are easy, but there is a black wire with a piece of red tape around it. I am not sure if it is + or -. I can't find a wiring diagram anywhere. Any help would be appreciated. I can post pics if necessary.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yup this worked for my 09 XP.

Rooter, when you are done, there should only be two black wires on the negative terminal... assuming you've only added the winch. The winch black and the ground cable.

The black with red tape goes to positive.... I learned this by first hooking it up to negative and nothing happening when I turned the key. :D

Justin

·
Registered
21 Posts
don't know if this is the right place for this or not but here goes..
on my 2011 sportsman 500 the instructions for the polaris 2500 winch are a bit fuzzy concerning the 500.
I'm going off of memory here and was on midnight shift when I installed my winch the other day..so here goes.

the first thing is the factory winch wires on the bike are red and black not blue and yellow as stated in the directions(no. 10:the red and black pre winch wires will go to the positive and negative terminals on the contactor, then you use the blue and yellow 6ga. wires to go from the contactor to the winch. i.e the terminals on the contactor are kind of color coded I do remember that one terminal had blue on it.

the contactor which mounts on the right front side by the radiator, not the left front(the instructions have a pic of the right side but say "left side") is is a bit confusing as to whether they mean the actual R or L side of the bike or standing in front and looking at the bike.

also the red wire the instructions(no.16) describe that will go into the winch switch harness is orange with white stripe, on the sportsman 500 there are 2 switched power wires under the front cover both of them are orange with a white stripe either wire will work.

you will need to use the 24 inch "jumper" supplied with the winch this connects the switch to the contactor on the 500 there is no winch harness to use (at least one that I could find on mine)i.e instructions no.15

one other thing on mine I flipped the switch over and put it under the reverse overide switch, you will need longer hardware for this but if you dont want your winch switch sticking up above everything else on your bars this is a great trick...all you need to d ois remove the screws holding the switch onto the bracket and turn it over then remount it so it will mount under the R/O switch..

I think what was a bit confusing was the instructions keep saying "if you have a rear mounted battery" this is what threw me off, since the 2011 polaris sportsman 500 has a rear mounted battery ( I dont know about later years)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wish I had found this earlier (would have a little more hair from not pulling it out). My Warn RT2.5 sold as Cabelas trail tamer wasn't nearly as clear on where to put the contactor switch on my rear battery 2010 550 x2. Finally figured it out with help from folks in the forums.

Thanks to everyone who contributes their time and knowledge helping others. That's what made this country great and it's nice to see it thriving here.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
hey everybody, because there has been such a high demand for this PDF that i dont have the time to keep up with sending out individual emails at this time in my life, i have just decided to post it for anybody who this will help now or in the future. here you guys go, hope it helps!

Thank you!!

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk, as if anybody actually gave a sh!t if it was a desktop, laptop, crackberry, I-phone or freakin' morse code or for that matter smoke signals... :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just ordered the ProMark 2500 synthetic rope & mounting plate from the ad on here. Will this pdf be pretty much the same? I'm an FAA licensed technician have been working on turbine helicopters since 84 & Gulfstream since 03. I get to play W/some different items but sometimes some things can be explained too much:-0

·
Registered
99 Posts
Installed & works Great NOW just need time to go out & try it!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there. I am new to this forum after purchacing a 2011 Sportsman touring 850. I also bought the Sportsman XP Winch Kit and figured I'd save $210 and install it myself. Everything was pretty easy except when I got to the last page where I am supposed to ". . . 5. Plug the red/white wire with male spade connector into the orange/white wire with the female connector . . . " The orange/white wire is there as stated, but I can find no trace of a red/white wire with a male connector. Can someone please help me?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Anyone know where the contactor mounts on a 2009 sportsman 800 my body. Is it the same as the XP body?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts