Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just got 2013 sportsman 500 HO. has a YB14A-A2 yuasa battery. when plowing for 5-10 min it gets weak. I can barely keep my bike running if I hit winch switch before I give it gas after 10 min, my bike will stall out. not using my lights or heated grips. I was thinking of replacing with Shorai LFX36A3 lithium. cant find a lot of reviews about plowing with these batteries. Thing that I thought may be the best is the recharge rate is much quicker with lithium's and the AH is much higher. also temps in my area typically don't go below 0

Also battery stays on tender when not in use!

any thoughts or experience with these batteries or better options would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dont have too much experience with battery's but the thing with lithium is that when there dead there dead no forgiveness.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'd look at your charging system, you should be able to plow for for longer. Especially if you don't use heated grips, lights and it stays on a tender when not in use. Could be a bunk battery, could be your winch is drawing too many amps. My plowing sessions are usually an hour. I run my lights and heated grips, it's on a tender when not in use. I'm still using my stock battery on 10' 550. Something is up with you machine, but I don;t think buying a lithium battery is the solution.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
has anyone actually used a Shorai lithium? whats your experience with them?
I do not have experience with them. I still think your charging system needs to be looked at before you dump $250 for a new battery. Your battery is 1 year old, 13' 500, it should have enough capacity to plow snow for longer than 5 minutes. There are thousands of 500's out there plowing with a stock battery.

If you do get that battery, I'm sure everyone would like to hear your experience.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
I would at least test your old battery first, i have a '13 500ho and can plow for hours at -10 with head lights and back up lights on and never see the low bat light. I haven't used a battery tender in a few weeks either because i dropped it and broke mine lol.

The lithium batteries have smaller capacity cells but have much higher energy density and can handle higher current draw, so they have more punch but not really much more in reserve capacity.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you read that thread ?
Yep I read it. Best info I found has been car battery for plowing. I think a lot has to do with a lot of short plow distances for me. I'm winchin out and then in after 50'. Sometimes less. I ordered a shorai already, but I agree with what guy said about strong battery with less reserve. This concerns me! But of course the battery guy at shorai thought I would have improved results and possibly be able to use my lights. He said the recharge rate was much better.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Recharge rate is much higher IF you have the current to back it up, unfortunately our atvs do not. Stator out put is only 200-250 watts, the winch will pull a few hundred watts no load so it's not hard to run the battery down and that's where reserve capacity come in.

Don't know if it will solve your issue but you should notice more stable voltage under load, but remember when it's dead it drops to 0 volts instantly.

My drive way is 70x30 and the neighbors across the street is 20x30 and the neighbor next to me is 40x20 and I have no issues plowing all three.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Recharge rate is much higher IF you have the current to back it up, unfortunately our atvs do not. Stator out put is only 200-250 watts, the winch will pull a few hundred watts no load so it's not hard to run the battery down and that's where reserve capacity come in.

Don't know if it will solve your issue but you should notice more stable voltage under load, but remember when it's dead it drops to 0 volts instantly.

My drive way is 70x30 and the neighbors across the street is 20x30 and the neighbor next to me is 40x20 and I have no issues plowing all three.
I think I might cancel order! dropping to 0 means no restart. at least when mine stalls out from low juice I can restart it because battery has enough juice typically to do it. had a couple almost no starts but gave it a minute and it turned over.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Did you read that thread ?
Yep I read it. Best info I found has been car battery for plowing. I think a lot has to do with a lot of short plow distances for me. I'm winchin out and then in after 50'. Sometimes less. I ordered a shorai already, but I agree with what guy said about strong battery with less reserve. This concerns me! But of course the battery guy at shorai thought I would have improved results and possibly be able to use my lights. He said the recharge rate was much better.
good luck

·
Registered
862 Posts

I think I might cancel order! dropping to 0 means no restart. at least when mine stalls out from low juice I can restart it because battery has enough juice typically to do it. had a couple almost no starts but gave it a minute and it turned over.

That's not good, if your getting Low enough where you are getting close to no start then there could be other issues. If you have a auto parts store close by take the battery to them and have it tested, if it fails then the new battery should help. If it passes then you may have a issue with the charging system.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
^For as often as he claims he's winching with that plow the 500's OEM stator/battery WILL NOT keep up to the demand. For your application get yourself a deep cycle battery and mount it on the rear rack when plowing. With all that reserve power on tap your atv's electrical system will thank you.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Unless he is plowing his drive sideways or has a monster winch he should get more then 10 min. My drive isnt much longer, and the neighbors are really short and i have never seen a low bat light let alone low enought to almost not start and that's with hid head lights, back up light and no tender. These things should ship with 30ah batteries!

Fixit, do you plow in high or low gear?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Just sounds like he is winching in and out a lot. Some guys never get a low battery light but that doesn't mean it isn't straining the electrical system. I agree that the stock battery leaves a lot to be desired, as do the stators on these 400/500's. They are basically designed to start the atv, run the lights if need be and that's about it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless he is plowing his drive sideways or has a monster winch he should get more then 10 min. My drive isnt much longer, and the neighbors are really short and i have never seen a low bat light let alone low enought to almost not start and that's with hid head lights, back up light and no tender. These things should ship with 30ah batteries!

Fixit, do you plow in high or low gear?[/QUOTE

I plow in low gear.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I guess I'd be surprised if it was a "battery not big enough" issue myself. I know the systems are different, but my 05 800 has no problems at all plowing my 50' driveway. It might take me 45 minutes if there's a lot of snow and I do winch in and out a lot for parts of it. Lights are on and heated grips are on. It's on the original battery also. Battery tender on it most of the time when not in use. And I can tell you there are a ton of 500s or smaller plowing driveways around here and I've never heard of anyone needing to up their battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well had my bike on tender for a few days now. got a voltage tester that goes in cigarette lighter. Started bike and warmed up for 15 min. when I hit winch while running it goes into red on first shot of winch lifting. then headlights on and winch almost stalled. brand new bike. less than 20 hours. I think im going to trade in :)

·
Registered
679 Posts
well had my bike on tender for a few days now. got a voltage tester that goes in cigarette lighter. Started bike and warmed up for 15 min. when I hit winch while running it goes into red on first shot of winch lifting. then headlights on and winch almost stalled. brand new bike. less than 20 hours. I think im going to trade in :)
Take it back to the dealer. Still on warranty?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts