Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it okay to use the same oil I use in my 550 (Mobil 1 0w-40) in my new RZR S?

Is it even okay that I use 0w-40? It's pretty hot in southeastern Oklahoma and I've been told by some that 0w-40 is not a good oil for hot climates.

I don't know much about oil but won't the engine temps bring all oils up to about the same temp? Doesn't seem that ambient temp would have much to do with how hot the oil gets, other than it may stay hotter a little longer - fan runs more when it's hotter outside.

Been running Mobil1 0w-40 in my quad for 2+ years. Hope I'm not damaging it. Just need some reassurance or correction, thanks.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
IINM the XP line was 5W50 rated... The Sportsmans where OW40.

Now I doubt you will have a problem with 0W40. As a matter of fact my father went to the Polaris dealer for fluids and they gave him 2qts of Amsoil 0W40 for his 2010 550!

There is another post you may want to read thru...http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-xp/22486-engine-oil.html

CW

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
They both are recommended for the Polaris P4 oil which I believe to be a 0W40 that many run as an alternative. They recommend their sever duty which I believe is a 2w50 for hotter climates or severe use.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
0W40 will be fine. It was the oil Polaris recommended for years and it worked then and it will work now. Go to Wal Mart and get the jug of Mobile 1 0W40 for about 23 bucks and pick up some Pure One filters for it while you are there.

Ronnie

·
Registered
426 Posts
They both are recommended for the Polaris P4 oil which I believe to be a 0W40 that many run as an alternative. They recommend their sever duty which I believe is a 2w50 for hotter climates or severe use.
The Polaris PS-4 is 5W-50 and the PS-4 Extreme Duty is 10W-50.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
The Polaris PS-4 is 5W-50 and the PS-4 Extreme Duty is 10W-50.

Could be. Lots of conflicting info all over on oil.

·
Registered
426 Posts
The info isn't too conflicting when it's printed right on the bottle.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I haven't seen the bottles with the rating on them at my local dealer. And to be honest, I never really looked that close. So then that creates the question of why everyone recommends 0W40 instead? I know it's what I have read all over this forum as well as others. That 0W40 mobil is the same stuff basically.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Nothing on PS-4 bottles I bought from dealer either.

·
Registered
255 Posts
This discussion, one of numerous ones on this and other ATV websites, highlights one of the reasons why I always have and will continue to use the Polaris lubricants in both of our machines. I know they are correct and I don't have to worry or consider if they are doing damage to our machines. The difference in price and considering the number of times the lubricants are changed each year is, to me, worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I haven't seen the bottles with the rating on them at my local dealer. And to be honest, I never really looked that close. So then that creates the question of why everyone recommends 0W40 instead? I know it's what I have read all over this forum as well as others. That 0W40 mobil is the same stuff basically.
Polaris used to recommend 0w-40. I think this is why folks use it now. I have been asking in another thread why folks aren't using 5w-40 or 5w-50.

Sean

·
Registered
154 Posts
Bobistheoilguy.com is your friend! Virgin oil analysis of the polaris oil isn't that great. Castrol edge 5w50 is a lot more robust oil as far as additives go. That's what I'm using, there's no reason to use polaris oil out of warranty IMO.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Bobistheoilguy.com is your friend! Virgin oil analysis of the polaris oil isn't that great. Castrol edge 5w50 is a lot more robust oil as far as additives go. That's what I'm using, there's no reason to use polaris oil out of warranty IMO.
There is no use to use it when you are in your warrinty period. No where in the book does it say you must use Polaris oil plus if it did they would have to supply it. Polaris cannot deny you warrinty because you choose to use another brand of oil. This is a big myth and I wonder where it got started.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
The 0W (i.e. 0W 40) doesn't make a difference in the hot weather. OW oils are the weight of the oil at basically ambient temp. Once it warms up to operating temperature it is a 40W oil. The thinner at start up the better no matter the temp as that is where the the majority of the wear happens. Most 50 weights oils shear to a 40W oil at operating temp so use a 0W40 or a 5W40 or 50 just don't use the Polaris oil as you don't know what you are buying. Polaris will change oil manufactures every chance they get to make a few extra cents on the mark-up that's why it doesn't say on the bottle. Buy a good quality (mobil, castrol, Amsoil, penzoil, etc..) synthetic so you know what your using. It's Russian roulette with Polaris motor oil, you never know what your buying.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Most (if not all) Polaris lubes are made by a company in Minnesota called Lube Tech. I've been in the plant where the oils are blended and bottled, and in their warehouses many times.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
All oils shear down. Saying that 50 shears to 40, so just use 40 makes no sense...because 40 is going to shear down to less than 40.

I was reading a ford forum about what folks use in some of their sports cars. The cars are supposed to have 5w-50 in them, but motorcraft oil is not full synthetic. My point being that the MC oil sheared down to 30 (if I remember correctly)weight after 1500 miles, but the recommended oil change was 7500 miles. Their point was, that if you replaced the MC oil with a quality full synthetic, that your oil would remain too thick.

Now put that in the context of Polaris oil. If Polaris takes into account that their oil will shear down a certain level when they designed their oil, where does that leave you when you use a higher quality oil that does not shear down as much. Are you running too thick of oil?

Sean

·
Registered
426 Posts
All oils shear down. Saying that 50 shears to 40, so just use 40 makes no sense...because 40 is going to shear down to less than 40.

I was reading a ford forum about what folks use in some of their sports cars. The cars are supposed to have 5w-50 in them, but motorcraft oil is not full synthetic. My point being that the MC oil sheared down to 30 (if I remember correctly)weight after 1500 miles, but the recommended oil change was 7500 miles. Their point was, that if you replaced the MC oil with a quality full synthetic, that your oil would remain too thick.

Now put that in the context of Polaris oil. If Polaris takes into account that their oil will shear down a certain level when they designed their oil, where does that leave you when you use a higher quality oil that does not shear down as much. Are you running too thick of oil?

Sean
Not sure where you're getting that information, but the Motorcraft 5W-50 is full synthetic.

Considering that over the years Polaris has changed their oil from 0W-40 to 2W-50, and now 5W-50 and 10W-50, I don't think they are concerned about the oil being too thick. Seems to me they're more concerned about it being too thin, which is even more reason to use a high quality shear stable oil.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts