Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 98 Polaris Magnum 425 4x4 it ran decent when I test drove it. I know it had been setting possibly a year. It smelt like bad gas and seemed to bog down when I got on it.
Today I cleaned out the carb which looked pretty good. I still checked everything out and the needle was free moving and clean. Choke was clear and throttle cable was free and clean.
I replaced the Plug only the cable looked brand new up inside was bright and clean. It looked like it had good spark.
I am still waiting on my new K&N airfilter.
When I put the machine back together it still has that miss when you getting on it. I tested without the airfilter and with airfilter with no change. Before someone says that.
I still don't have a service manual but, what is that aluminum boxlike device that the fuel flows into then on to carb under the head light? Is that some sort of filter? It appeared to have good fuel flow going to carb but its hard to tell how much it really needs. I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Fuel Pump???

That aluminum box like thing is your fuel pump. It is a pulse pump from what I can understand and is powered by a clear plastic line from the carb at least on our 325 Magnum. Output on ours is rated 1-3 PSI.

Getting your service manual will really help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found another problem

While riding around testing my carb and air intake I found the problem with my 4x4 kicking in. I've not torn down the hub Im trying to decide if this is something I want to mess with. The front wheel started wobbling and rubbing the shock. The boot behind the hub on the cv axle is pulled from the hub. Im unsure if this is a wheel bearing issue or a cv axle issue. Wheel bearing I may mess with but the axle I may have it repaired. Any input is welcome...
[/URL][/IMG]

It rubbed the brake disc to. I never have any luck with a used equipment

·
Registered
526 Posts
ak ATV's used we have learned really means USED. :)

We bought cheap and found ours needed attention too. If you will get you the shop manual and you may have already down loaded it and train yourself and your son to keep it up the parts alone add up but not like when you are paying shop rates labor.

It is almost cheaper to pay like $3K and get one that has just been yard driven most of its life by a retired farmer. :)

Project toys are a good way to learn skills too. We have found some good used parts on Ebay too. Forums like this one and others are full of info but nonsense as well so we check put advice with the shop manual most often.

Just do not try to make it into a new ATV and I bet you will have a lot of fun at a relative low price. I know a 97 year old still riding his 425 and does it side saddle style.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son is 12, I get most items from the web. We bought this from a friend but anyways its ours to fix now. I've since removed the hub and all the internals. The feel rough so I'm guessing all bearings need replaced. I have not found a good service manual yet. I'd prefer PDF so I could print what I need. Are there suppose to be bearings the axle sits in the shock? I'm guessing so? I must search for more info now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk now Free

·
Registered
11 Posts
ak, I really suggest shopping online. I went to a local Mom/Pop shop for frt. hub bearings and seals on 1 side of my 335 sportsman. While I always try and do business with them, I paid 185$ for 4 bearings and 2 seals. I looked for the parts after the fact(salt in the wound) on-line and found everything for 75$. Some will say get what you pay for, I paid 185 for china parts and probably would have received the same for 75$

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
There are 3 bearings in each side, if you take them to an auto parts store they can get you good Timken bearings, I believe 2 of them are L44649 and one is L44643, take your old ones with you to compare, the rear seal is a CR #26110 .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts