Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and girls I have a 500 sportsman carb non ebs, and was wondering if any body has upgraded their clutch with the epi utility, clutch, im getting no power to the heels with the stock, especially in reverse, bike struggles in just a one foot ditch, sounds like its choking for fuel, and ready to die, whats your opinions on the utility clutch kit for the 500ho model, is it worth it or what, I use my bike for hauling wood and hate getting stuck especilly in the dead of winter..also when I use my winch, my battery icon flashes, and I have already had to refill with distilled water once and recharge, even though the bike is running when I use it and I have tried it in park in neutral in high in low,,, now difference, is the stock battery crap too, or do I have a magneto, or possible contact, prob,, let me know what you think, all suggestions are welcomed, and dont hold back,, thanks thomas:

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I think before you put any clutch kit in you need to check out your clutches and make sure they are in good condition. New weights and springs wont help if the clutch is junk or has a bunch of worn out parts. Winches take a lot of power and can trigger the battery light to come on when being used. Especially if you have an already weak battery. The charging system on any ATV is not up to keeping up with a consistent winch use, such as plowing. Best thing to do there is get a battery tender and plug it in when done riding it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
When in reverse do you have the override button pressed. If not it will limit the power when in reverse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thank you I never thought about that, my dealer told me its only, for normal level surfaces, im begining to think these guys, are useless, next time ill just ask the forum , you guys are the experts.im gonn have to remove that limiter, my memory is shot to hell, like gettin stuck in a mud hole and fighting for two hours to get the bike out only to remember as you fall too the ground in front of your bike that you have a dam winchand a come along in your box, and a friggin chainsaw.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
No need to remove the limiter, just put in reverse and hold in the yellow button. The stock battery is a little weak but winching is very hard on it. Get a maintainer and turn off your lights when winching and make sure you are giving it some revs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
battery power

Gotta get a new battery for my 500 sportsman, gonna install some hand warmers, and winch accessories will a12v 30 amp be to powerful, worried about, what will happen on start up, will there be to much crank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts