Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so right now im running a kfi straight plow, which works fine unless we get 10 inches of snow plus 30 mph winds then it doesnt do to hot so i have been looking for a v blade, think that it would be nice to put it at a v, make a few passes thro with out gettinf stuck, then wing one way or the other for a few passes then scoop the rest. So i found a boss v plow, and im not sure o price yet has the dealer isnt open on sundays, but ky question is, is 256 pounds to much weight to hang on thr front of a 2015 sportsman 850? Witb a boss blade its all hydraulic ran so wont need a winch to left it up and down, and all the contrls would be on the handle bars also. Any help on how much weight i can hangnon the front would be great. Thanks in advance! !!!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Would need beefier springs for sure
That plow is Ubber expensive, like almost buy a 2nd atv new price

V plows don't work the way people dream them to, "put it in v position and blaze a trail for yourself" unless that boss has downpressure, the v plow floats up off grade, deeper the snow, faster and higher it floats itself up and your going to lose traction if you have a deep snow base your trying to ride thru

V plows are alot less effecient than a straight blade with wings or even just boxed sides

V plows have a bunch of stuff going on electrically and hydraulically which means more places to fail. Only saving grace will be your not using it commercially like a truck so by rights it should go for a few years before you may begin to see issues, maybe longer depending on actual useage.

From experience with all plow set ups on trucks for commercial use, I'm being honest, even if you can swing the $4800+/- for that boss atv set up plus spring upgrade to handle it, then you have to deal with counter weight out back...save your money and make some sides to box in your plow, or better yet make wings that widen your cut but more importantly contains the snow.

You can search YouTube for atv plow wings and there's a guy with a kick ass plow set up atv so you can see just how productive wings make a otherwise worthless straight blade.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You have to have some serious push behind a V plow to get any good out of it. Even on a big truck a V plow is typically used by getting a good roll going, hitting the drift, back up, move over, repeat until drift is gone.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I think I would simply make multiple passes lowering the blade 3-4" with additional passes.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Only advantage I can see for a V-blade, is one fast pass, and for that, it needs to be quite wide. The V-blades at the Mackinac County road commission, when I was a kid, were for flying up the neighborhood streets, throwing snow in both directions, and God help you if you were even close to the road.:yel: If you could get one as wide as your half-mile long driveway, for example, it would be great, but ungodly heavy. I would certainly not need it, at 250 feet, and we get a lot of snow here. I'm happy to have changed the time I spend plowing my driveway from 3 hours with a snowblower, to 45 minutes with my plow.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I know what you mean about trying to bust drifts with a straight plow. The problem with an ATV and any plow is the weight of the machine. There isn't enough mass to the machine with the plow down. If the plow is angled when you hit the drift, it just pushes the front of the machine in the opposite direction. Before I got my tractor with the loader for the bigger snows, I would keep the blade straight and shave the drift down in a few passes then angle it, clear that area and repeat until I had a path. Sometimes it meant starting to clear the drift in the yard to get to the driveway.

If you want to spend the money, buy one of the snow blowers that mount on the ATV. The ones I have seen have their own power unit and wheels. All the ATV does is guide it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts