Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,
I just bought a 2011, sportsman 500 HO. I found a line disconnected sitting on the frame as I was doing an oil change (oil FULL of fuel which is something I’ll be keeping an eye on) and I have no idea what it came from. Pretty new to this sort of stuff. Any idea what it is?

·
12,343 Posts
Looks like the overflow line off the carb bowl and its been blocked so there's the reason your engine oil was full of gas.
You'll probably need the carb float valve cleaned/repaired to stop the dripping.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
5,830 Posts
View attachment 151100
Hi all,
I just bought a 2011, sportsman 500 HO. I found a line disconnected sitting on the frame as I was doing an oil change (oil FULL of fuel which is something I’ll be keeping an eye on) and I have no idea what it came from. Pretty new to this sort of stuff. Any idea what it is?
Welcome.gif
to the forum
Cheers.gif

Your question has now been logged into the queue and the next available forum member will answer you shortly. You will be given more advice than you could hope for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like the overflow line off the carb bowl and its been blocked so there's the reason your engine oil was full of gas.
You'll probably need the carb float valve cleaned/repaired to stop the dripping.
I haven’t noticed any fuel leaking, but I’ve shut off the fuel since I did the oil change. I’m going to run some sea foam through it and check the oil again after a couple hours of run time. I’ve also read that the float is probably the issue for fuel in the oil.

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
Yep - it's the R E D N E C K method of fixing a problem

It may not be so much of a 'float' problem as much a s float 'needle seat' problem - most of the time the o-ring on the float needle is damaged (shrinks) and even though the needle shuts off the fuel flow, fuel bypasses the seat o-ring to overfill the bowl. If the fuel is not shut off, it leaks from the overflow tube - plug the tube and the overflow goes into the cylinder and thus the crankcase.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts