Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2007 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 and I don't think that the vauum is working properly. I thought it was the fuel pump, but it still didn't start after I replaced the fuel pump. I also replaced the carb before because it was broken. The 2 wires that go to the fuel pump I thought were not working properly, but when I did more research it said that they were, and they were connecting to the right spots, but when I took the main wire off from the fuel pump to the carb I realized that the fuel wasn't coming out a lot. I think that the vacuum isn't working properly on the quad, but I don't know how to fix it. I heard that the vacuum is made from the engine, but I don't know how to fix it. Another problem is the battery, it dies out really quickly even if I am not turning the quad on. As long as the battery is connected to the quad it dies quickly. It's a brand new battery which I know is good. What do I do to see if their's a short somewhere, how do I test if the quad is taking too much of the battery?

·
11,261 Posts
Hmm... Vacuum isn't working properly and you replaced the pump and carb but the wires going to the pump are ok and you took the main wire off from the fuel pump to the carb and the battery also dies out no matter if its turned on or not?
I'm stumped... wouldn't know where to start on those kinda problems??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Do you have a idea on where to start at least? Forget the battery situation. I don’t need to fix that first, I need to start the quad so I need to fix the vacuum situation. I can still start the quad with the battery it just runs out of battery power down the line quickly. I’ll figure that out, but can you give me anything on the vacuum part of the quad? Like any wires or anything?

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Hoses work with vacuum - wires work with electricity - I don't have a clue as to what you are looking at or checking and it's obvious that you don't either - you need to take it to someone who understands the systems to get it repaired correctly and expeditiously.

·
11,261 Posts
Alright OP...What you're saying makes absolutely no sense at all but I'll try this:
1) First, there are no wires that connect anywhere on or around the pump or carb on that machine. Wires are for carrying electricity and hoses are for liquids and air.
2) Second, the "vacuum" as you call it, is actually a pulse line #6 that operates the pump and goes from the outlet marked "P" on the pump to the nipple on the front left of the carb. So long as the hose isn't broken it HAS to work when the engine turns over creating a pulse of air to act on the pump diaphragm to make it pump.
3) The fuel supply line with filter #7 goes from the pump outlet to the rear right side of the carb to supply fuel to the carb bowl.
4) The other line on the pump connects from the tank valve to the pump to supply fuel from the tank to be pumped to the carb.
As for the battery failing to keep a charge you probably have a regulator/rectifier bad but that's only a guess. You'd have to use a meter to test current flow or drain and charging to address that issue.
If you're going to try to work on your machine you need to get a service manual and read it through it completely a few times so you know what you're talking about. Unless you at least understand the basic concepts of how the machine operates you can't even ask questions that make any sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess thanks for the help. I try to learn as a go when I fix this machine, but I think this problem I can’t do myself. I’m thinking of bringing it to a shop to get it done their. I already fixed this quad a lot more times than I needed to. I replaced the starter, rear axle bearings, and a lot of other stuff I shouldn’t of fixed. I should of gotten rid of this quad long ago. I’m going to try to fix this myself and be careful at that, and if I can’t I’ll just bring it to a shop. Everything you said about the carb are good except that #6 hose. It wasn’t connect to the carb, it was connected to the fuel pump but wasn’t connected to the carb. So I fixed that issue and hopefully the quad turns on. For the battery, if I disconnect the negative battery terminal from the battery and use a multimeter and connect one end to the negative terminal and connect the other end to the negative side of the battery that should tell me the amperage the quad is drawing correct? If you could tell me what that number should be it would be great!

·
11,261 Posts
Ok, sounds like you corrected the pulse line problem then. You may still need to use a little starting fluid to get it to run long enough to pick up the fuel.
You should have very little to no amperage draw with everything off.
With the machine running and the meter on the battery terminals you should see around13 to 14.5 vdc from idle to around 2500 rpm if the charging system is working.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts