Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a newbie to polaris, I don't know the differences between the two. What is lost when going to a value line product? Would one be better off spending a given amount on a late model used XP as opposed to a new 570? I know a guy locally that has a used Sportsmen XP maybe an 09 with a plow and some extras that was actually the wife's unit. Very low miles. They are going to a UTV. He says $5700 firm. It is the bigger 800 or whatever they were then. Thanks for any info/knowledge you can share.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The Value Line is kind of bad name for them. i dont want to say they are a better Value as the XP's have there Advantages. But they are a good value in terms of perfmance over cost. if youre looking for something to romp around on i would say a 570 is perfect. you will be more comfortable crusing, trail riding on an XP. Ill let others chime in as well. that XP doesnt sound like a bad deal really, assuming its the 850 and in the sahpe you say it is.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
the primary difference between the two is the suspension. The XP's have a softer more forgiving suspension than the value line and because of the Dual A-Arm front suspension with Coil over shocks. where as the Value line uses a Mcpherson Struct system.

whether on not the XP is worth the extra money new is all personal preference. But right now you're comparing a base model machine vs "a top of the line" machine. so the comparisons aren't really fair. If the XP is an 850 the power and speed wont even be close compared to a 570. it's just not fair. but if XP is a 550, its far more comparable and many people would give the edge to the 570.

Really your best bet is to ride them all before you buy and see what you like the most.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
the primary difference between the two is the suspension. The XP's have a softer more forgiving suspension than the value line and because of the Dual A-Arm front suspension with Coil over shocks. where as the Value line uses a Mcpherson Struct system.

whether on not the XP is worth the extra money new is all personal preference. But right now you're comparing a base model machine vs "a top of the line" machine. so the comparisons aren't really fair. If the XP is an 850 the power and speed wont even be close compared to a 570. it's just not fair. but if XP is a 550, its far more comparable and many people would give the edge to the 570.

Really your best bet is to ride them all before you buy and see what you like the most.
+1
And the ride of a Polaris Value Line machine will be better than every other ATV manufacturers out there with the exception of the Polaris XP models. Soooo take that for what its worth. Given the choice between the 09' 850 and a NEW 570 I'd get the new 570.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My take is if I'm buying new, I'd buy the 570, get most of what I want and spend less cash, but If I'm buying used, I'm buying the 850 XP with EPS. Having just bought my Touring and having talked to a bunch of dealers, they explained that the 550 xp's just weren't selling with the introduction of the 570.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a 2011 800 that I love. Given the choice of new today I would probably look at the XP850 or if I wanted something a little cheaper I would probably look at the 570 or the 800. I think no matter what you get in Polaris you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New vs Used

Basically the used XP for $5700 has some farkles incl a barely used plow, which I really don't have a big need for. If I buy used and pay cash, I save around $1000 and have a 5 year old XP 850. It may have more power, but I don't know if the fuel range is better or worse. If I buy a 400HO for the wife and we mostly ride together, the 570 would be fine. I would rather have the dual A arm front suspension, but I don't want to pay for the difference if buying new. I guess I need to go look at the used XP and ride it for a feel on how much difference there is. I liked our King 750 and my wife really liked her 2010 Rancher with EPS. Being on mostly two tracks and not much technical trail riding, I don't know if EPS is worth the extra $? How do the aftermarket eps systems work?

·
Super Moderator
7,049 Posts
Basically the used XP for $5700 has some farkles incl a barely used plow, which I really don't have a big need for. If I buy used and pay cash, I save around $1000 and have a 5 year old XP 850. It may have more power, but I don't know if the fuel range is better or worse. If I buy a 400HO for the wife and we mostly ride together, the 570 would be fine. I would rather have the dual A arm front suspension, but I don't want to pay for the difference if buying new. I guess I need to go look at the used XP and ride it for a feel on how much difference there is. I liked our King 750 and my wife really liked her 2010 Rancher with EPS. Being on mostly two tracks and not much technical trail riding, I don't know if EPS is worth the extra $? How do the aftermarket eps systems work?
I still stand by my statement that my wife's 500 rides as nice, if not better, than my XP. If you aren't pushing the machine to it's limits, the struts work just fine. If fuel consumption is a concern to you, this hobby isn't about fuel mileage. Look for around 16-20 mpg regardless of what machine you buy. Really though, who cares? As far as EPS goes, it's worth every penny!!! Those who don't like it, or say it isn't necessary, are those who don't have it. I've never heard anyone say that they wish they didn't have power steering. It just makes riding that much better, whether trail riding or technical riding. Doesn't matter, it's better with PS.
New machines are nice, but the 850 is a sweet ride. You just need to ride both and see what feels right to you.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'll just toss in that if given a choice the 2009/first year XP is the only year of XP that I would not likely consider given 6 years of XP's available. I would seek out the 2012 or newer given the incremental changes. Take a peruse through the threads. Of course pricing in the used market can cure anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still stand by my statement that my wife's 500 rides as nice, if not better, than my XP. If you aren't pushing the machine to it's limits, the struts work just fine. If fuel consumption is a concern to you, this hobby isn't about fuel mileage. Look for around 16-20 mpg regardless of what machine you buy. Really though, who cares? As far as EPS goes, it's worth every penny!!! Those who don't like it, or say it isn't necessary, are those who don't have it. I've never heard anyone say that they wish they didn't have power steering. It just makes riding that much better, whether trail riding or technical riding. Doesn't matter, it's better with PS.
New machines are nice, but the 850 is a sweet ride. You just need to ride both and see what feels right to you.
Fuel economy is not important, but range can be, out here in the NV outback. I also have a dualsport/adventure bike/ATV touring company and we do ride promotions as well as 1-3 day ATV tours. The range is important, but most ATVs are capable of going 100 miles and gas is easy to pack. I am 60 and have a prosthetic left leg. The seat height and position of the new 570 is a very good fit for me as well. I haven't sat on any others yet. My local shop has All four jap brands and Polaris. The price of the 570 and 400 is what got my attention along with the features. I read quite a bit about the increased maintenance on Polaris, but I haven't yet figured out how much more there is compared to the King. It needed a battery tender due to some ghost draws, but fluid changes and filters was all I did in 3 years and 3,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
You're not alone in that Bob.. The old boy that started "dirttrax t.v and magazine" (Mark Lester), has stated many times, that he'd take a mcpherson strut design front end over a double a-arm front end "any day of the week".. His exact words.. Fewer moving parts, it tracks straighter and is stronger and less prone to breaking.. I loved my 850 XP Touring and would buy another xp in a second.. I just bought a new 570 and have only test ridden one for 5 or 6km's.. However, I can tell you the 570 is plenty comfy and plenty powerful.. Its no 850, and the ride is not quite as refined as the XP, but its way better than just good.. Its darn good!.. The 570 has the 3 comfort features the XP taught me that I cannot be with out.. It scores 3 out of 3 for me.. 1) The power steering is as good as my XP, 2) they narrowed the seat at your thighs and expanded the floor boards and 3) the 570 has EFI.. Owning both machines.. If polaris ever wanted to create a new category for their machines called "Value Plus".. The 570 would be the first machine to qualify for that title in my opinion..

·
Registered
238 Posts
I vote 570, but I'm biased. :fest06:

I looked into buying a used XP just like you when I decided I wanted another four wheeler. After some browsing through instagram I laid eyes on an awesome 570. That made me look at them, and the price is what sold me on them! Let me ask you this, why buy a 5 year old quad when you can get a brand new (with warranty) for a grand more? You say your wife has a smaller CC, well bud if you buy that 850 you're gonna walk circles around her and in the end probably say to yourself, "This is too much." I'm the first one to agree to get a bigger bore if you plan on modding it out and whatnot, but is that what you'll be doing? I think my 570 has plenty of power. It'll stand up without much finesse (22% more HP over a 500HO) and as far as fuel economy, their advertisement is that it carries 11% more fuel.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Rode a 570 and it rides great and with that narrow seat it feels like my 850XP. I am thinking of selling my 800 and get a 570 Touring. You can't beat the price in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
You might want to talk to you wife before you buy her a 400 without EPS. She's probably primed and ready for a 570 eps. if you don't want it thats on you, but if shes already been driving an EPS machine, I'd bet she wont give it up easily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eps

You might want to talk to you wife before you buy her a 400 without EPS. She's probably primed and ready for a 570 eps. if you don't want it thats on you, but if shes already been driving an EPS machine, I'd bet she wont give it up easily.
You're right. Hell I don't like cars without heated seats and power windows anymore either...I should be looking at 2 570s w EPS.....:flowers1:

·
Premium Member
10,359 Posts
You're right. Hell I don't like cars without heated seats and power windows anymore either...I should be looking at 2 570s w EPS.....:flowers1:
my thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I found my 400 to have a more "plush" ride than my 850. I don't know why people say the 550/850 rides smoother, it is definately more stiff than the values.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I found my 400 to have a more "plush" ride than my 850. I don't know why people say the 550/850 rides smoother, it is definately more stiff than the values.
Maybe your tires and/or suspension settings on your 850?

I have stock tires and the softest settings set on my 700 & 550. IMO the 550 has a much smoother ride. My 700's suspension is basically the same as your 400.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts