Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to lift my 400HO 2", would I need new axles? Would the new axles be stock length, or longer?

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jay. Will the rear axles bind or be under more pressure with a 2" lift?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Yes, everything will be under more pressure. The only thing I have broken thus far has been CV's, mainly the outer ones and in the front.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what can you do to relieve the pressure to avoid snapping an axle?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Not do the lift :).

Or replace your a-arms, axles, etc... with parts that are going to handle the additional abuse.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
When you install a lift you increase the angle of axils to the cv joints. I don't think there is a fix for that other than installing heavy duty axils & cv joints, Gorilla, Rihno, Highlifter. Taller tires is an option vs the lift.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yeah, 500HO here, I lifted for a matter of 2 months. Broke 2 CV Joints. Went back to stock. IMO - dont bother lifting. Get some nice tires (go 26-27s with your 400). you will be golden

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

If I go to a 26" or 27" do I need to re-clutch? What about if I went 26"-27" on 14" rims, will the stock clutch be ok?

·
Registered
247 Posts
if you go to bigger tires (regardless of the rim) you're putting the strain on the drive system (usually the belt) instead of the cv joint. There's ALWAYS a trade-off. if you upgrade to a kevlar belt you ought to be fine assuming you're really good about maintenance and using really good oils. Also, with bigger tires you'll lose acceleration.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mugzy. I am a stickler with maintenance. Maybe a 26" tire on the 12" rim would be the waay to go?

·
Registered
247 Posts
If you're spending the money 'cause you need new tires anyway. Remember, every additional inch in tire diam only gives you a 1/2" of additional ground clearance. Nothing beats good riding skills.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts