Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this type of thread is somewhat over-posted, but does anyone out there have any experience with Venom winches. I'm kind of on a wife-induced budget (does anyone know what I mean :) ). I'm not going to be a heavy winch user, but I would like to install one for occasional use. I am considering the Venom 3K or 3.5K synthetic. The Venom is priced right.... but is it worth it? Any experiences (either positive or negative would be appreciated).

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the Venom 2500X On My Yamaha Grizzly 450 & At 1st it seemed Ok but I have had My share of trouble with it 1st the free spool knob would not turn to allow it to free spool so I ordered a knob & some of the other parts & got that working ,Now it has lost almost all power it will pull about 5 feet then just quit then after waiting a while it will finaly let you wind in the cable,On My 2 Polaris Sportsmans I have the Warn A2000 (Older Design) Both have been trouble free,The Venom Parts are available & are priced low but I am not sure if I will even repair it again it may get replaced with a Warn.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have never had a problem with any of the Venom winches I have had...
How does the 3K Venom perform on your 800? Have you been happy with the power, etc.. Do you think that the 3.5K would be worth the few extra $$?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I put a 3k lb Venom on my 550. $170 shipped off of ebay. I've used to plow snow a few times, winched myself and buddy out of deep snow last weekend. For the price, I'm very happy with it so far. Time will tell......

·
Registered
173 Posts
i've had my venom 3000lb winch for over 2 years and it has held up very well. The only thing I got to do occasionaly is to spray a little electrical cleaner in the thumb switch. If I was to do it again, I would have gotton the synthetic rope, instead of the steel cable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Let's see... My brother has the 3500 Venom, I have the 3500 Viper. Both very similiar, but as he stated, if he had to do it again, he would have gotten the Viper. It seems to be a little better, smoother, quieter and easier install. Other than that, have not had a problem with either.
Now, I had a 3000 Viper on my last machine, with synthetic. It worked great, until pulling out a tree and I stripped a gear (it was like the 3rd tree that day). Nice thing was it was a $10 part and it easy to disassemble and replace, and the coolest part, I ordered the gear from Warn! It was a direct replacement.
And I too recommend the synthetic.

skip

·
Vendor
391 Posts
That's funny that the internal part for our VIPER winches could be directly replaced with a WARN part!! :) I once heard that from one of our dealers too.

An important difference in synthetic rope comes in the brand. Most use generic dyneema from China (WARN, Venom and many others are generic) while we (right or wrong) have chosen to stick with the patented AMSTEEL-BLUE from the USA. It's patented because it has an external coating that allows it to better glide over rough services and maintain the integrity of the rope without snagging.

Generic dyneema from China does not have this coating and snags can be the death of any synthetic rope. That's my two cents anyway.

Peter Kapsner, Ph.D.
President
Motoalliance
Moto Alliance
1-866-527-7637

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have the Venom 2500X On My Yamaha Grizzly 450 & At 1st it seemed Ok but I have had My share of trouble with it 1st the free spool knob would not turn to allow it to free spool so I ordered a knob & some of the other parts & got that working ,Now it has lost almost all power it will pull about 5 feet then just quit then after waiting a while it will finaly let you wind in the cable,On My 2 Polaris Sportsmans I have the Warn A2000 (Older Design) Both have been trouble free,The Venom Parts are available & are priced low but I am not sure if I will even repair it again it may get replaced with a Warn.
I replaced the Venom 2500 on My Grizzly with a Warn A2000 (New but old stock) But I did order a Venom 2500 for y Sportsman 400 & have used it a few times so far it's been Ok,For the price I will give Venom another Chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts