Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright new to the ATV life so some of my questions may seem remeadial but I'll ask anyway becasue I was always told there is no such thing as a dumb question.:) Yesterday after a little riding I noticed a clear tube laying on my garage floor. I assume it is a vent line but I cannot find where it goes. Can ayone give me locations of the vent lines on a 2010 500? Also I am not really in the know on the abreavations of the parts that you all use. Grew up0 on sleds so quads are greek to me.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
You should have vent lines from the front differential, engine crankcase, transmission, and the rear differential that should go up in the headlight pod. hope this helps!!

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its most likely the vent line for your battery, it comes off easy as its not clamped from the factory. It came off mine a few days after I bought it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yeah, NineLives is probably right. My machines came with (sealed) AGM batteries and don't have vent hoses.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I will look at all the areas you recomended. One question is why would my battery be vented? The battery is in the wide open under the left side rear fender, if I am sitting on the machine.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
It has the tube in case acid bubbles out. It won't bubble out onto the frame with the vent tube.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Another reason for the tube is when your battery charges it releases a flammable vapor, the vent tube vents this vapor to a safe area away from any potential spark or exessive heat. I have been an automotive mechanic for 26 years and have never seen this vapor actually start on fire, but its a safety regulation.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I hate to bring a thread back to life, but I have a question about the battery vent tube and this thread looked like a good place to put it.

I ran the vent line off my battery right up next to the air intake and crankcase vents. After riding yesterday, I noticed some acid in the tube and it also appeared that some had vented out of the tube. There were some times I was tilted and what not, but never flipped the bike or anything like that. I guess the question I have is, is this normal, if not, why, and do I have this vented to the proper location? Some did run down and touch metal pieces, so I'm guessing not, but where else do I run it to to properly vent it and keep water out of it?

The bike is a 2002 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO, the battery brand is Duralast.

·
Registered
728 Posts
My battery vent line fell off on the very first ride. It originally ran right over to the center of the machine and down thru the center and out thru a hole in the skid plate. Used electric tie straps to secure the tube to the tube coming off the battery and a few the rest of the way down to the bottom of the skid plate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts