Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i live in mb, canada and lately its been really cold where i live, day time highs of -20C and colder some days. but we don't have alot of snow where i live and i like to take my quad for ride in the snow often. but my quad sits outside all the time and if i keep starting it in really cold weather will it take a toll on the engine after a while? is cold starting hard on them?, i mean my truck starts no matter the temp. but it still has a block heater.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Storing a quad outside, no matter where you live, just seems like a bad idea. But if you have no other options, then there's not much you can do.

I kicked my wife's minivan out of the garage when I got my quad. Garage is man territory at my house anyway. Though I do have to brush the snow off her van before I leave in the mornings.

I would think you could get a magnet-mount block heater pretty cheap. Also, heat tape is another option available.

I use a little 35-watt space heater in my garage, keeps the whole thing at around 60ºF, even on the colder days.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
You MB guys are a tough bunch, I'll give you that.. Winter is rough out your way.. If you're starting it and just running it for a few mins where it doesn't get up to operating temps, its really hard on it.. You'd be better off not running it at all than doing that.. How bout' one of those temporary enclosures?.. I think Canadian tire has decent ones for a few hundred bucks.. They come in decent sizes like 6x10'ish or something like that.. Room for the quad and a bunch of other stuff too..

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Well I am in the same place, give or take as you and I use mine all winter long. It was -35c the other night and we used them. As long as you run synthetic oil, keep a battery tender on them and ride them when they are started so they at least get up to temp you will be fine.

One thing to watch for though is when you are done, take your hand and make sure that you scoop the snow out of the axle boot area. It will freeze solid and could tear a boot on your next ride. I have been doing this for the past 20 years and no issue at all.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Don't worry, run a good quality synthetic oil, test the antifreeze, and ride on. These fuji engines will not let you down, cold start no problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I love winter riding so much. I haven't had any problems yet (knock on wood). My friend blew his front dif last winter when we were riding down the seine river but he rides a cat and I'm sure that was the problem

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just put a cover on my quad, and i would ride it enough to get up to operating tmeperature so that wouldn't be a problem, i was just wondering if the cold starts would be hard on the engine bearings and stuff.

·
Registered
526 Posts
As noted just use the weight oil in the manual and bearings should be fine. Yes cold temp starts are more stressful on the machine. Polaris got its start in the Tropics so cold weather was not planned for. :)

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it guys around here use theirs all the time for ice fishing when its super cold and the wind is blowing like crazy.

·
Registered
593 Posts
If you are going to start it, try putting a 100-150W light bulb underneath on something that won't burn, tarp it to hold in the heat, being carful not to get the tarp close to the bulb, let is sit for an hour or two, it'll warm up the fluids some, just be careful. At-20 you might freeze off some body parts, not on the ATV, on you!!!

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Polaris got its start in the Tropics so cold weather was not planned for. :)
I have never heard this before. Could you please elaborate?? I always thought they were from Minnesota?

Rather be riding, instead I'm using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
a 100-150W blub puts out a lot of heat, when placed under the motor, the heat will warm the fluids, but if it's outside you need to keep the heat in like a tarp, but don't get it to close to the bulb, or let wind blow it onto the bulb. We use to do this in the barn to warm truck's up before starting, placed it right under the oil pan.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
No, it works, the bulb puts out a lot of heat, may not work in your situation, being outside. They do the same in pump houses, and small chicken coops to warm them up.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
A battery tender is almost a must have item for folks living in the colder areas. I have a shop to park mine in, but if you must leave it out at least cover it as best you can. I also spray my CV boots with Fluid Film. It helps keep the snow and ice from sticking as it waterproofs with lanolin. After plowing with mine I try to brush off all the snow I can before putting it away.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it as others have said.... the machines are designed to take. The fluids are the most critical item in the case of a cold start. For the rest of the machine, it should run better with colder temps (less humidity in the air).

To help with the "cold fluids" (engine oil), I really like the idea one member had about the magnetic block heater!! These aren't as efficent as a automotive block heater (which warms the engine block coolant), but should warm the lower engine and crank case oil!!!

Kats 200 Watt 120V Magnetic Heater - Mills Fleet Farm

1 - 18 of 18 Posts