Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, this is my first post here!

I just bought my first ATV, a Sportsman 500 1998, but I have a problem. When I drive, I get big vibrations in the steering, like if one of my rims was quite bended. But, I have brand new wheels and tires!

I have done theses things:
  1. Jacked the from of the ATV and spined each wheel by hand: They are perfectly rond (turn well, they don't wobble at all)
  2. I checked the tie rods and changed the tie rod ends on both side. I re-aligned everything. Didn't change anything...
  3. I disassembled the two front hubs. All parts were in pretty good shape, but the oil in the right hub was quite dark and smelly. I cleaned everything and put new Polaris Hub oil in both of them. Still have my problem...

Also, I usually drive pretty slowly (I bought it to work on my lot). But the faster I go, the less I feel the problem.

Do you know what may be causing this?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
58 Posts
What surface do you feel this on? How aggressive are your tires?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My tires are brand new and very aggressive. I feel it in any surface (gravel drive way, pavement, grass).

·
12,222 Posts
My tires are brand new and very aggressive. I feel it in any surface (gravel drive way, pavement, grass).
That explains it then. You can try having them balanced and that will help some. Very aggressive tires will almost always shake to some extent...some worse than others. What kind are they?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Zillas have a "tractor lug" effect up to about 5 mph on any surface. Does the vibration happen at high speed, low speed, or at any speed?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vibrations go away at higher speed (about 10 mph or so), so you're probably right.
I will test it again later today with this in mind and post the results...

Thanks everyone your your answers!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
If its the lugs on the tires, that won't go away with balancing. Just something you'll have to deal with at low speeds.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's an update.

The faster I go, the less vibration I have! So the agressive tire treads were causing my problem...

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: I ended up changing the armature plates (in the hilliard AWD system, $15 each) and I put new Polaris hub fluid in each hub after cleaning each part very well with break clean. Guess what? Absolutely no more vibrations in my steering, and at any speed!

So the used armature plates and/or old hub fluid were causing my wheels to sightly lock momentary and release right away, which was causing vibrations in my steering.
It now works like a charm! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts