Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is the video of my 96 Polaris Sportsman 400 4x4. The clutch is slipping and I don't know why.
It is a new belt and the clutch doesn't appear to be worn or have any burrs on it.
Please help!!!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Are you absolutely sure that it's the right part number belt? That looks WAY too loose.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bike wasn't running when I bought it, but the new belt matched up with the old one perfect, and the guy I bought it from said it ran when he parked it. I didn't know the guy so he could of been full of it. I did look up the part number and ordered the belt going by that. I did however get it off eBay so who knows.

I guess theres no way to adjust the clutches front to back?
The belt did seem very loose I could roll it on the back clutch with just my hands.

Before I buy another belt, are you guys pretty sure this is my problem?

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
Go to a Polaris dealer and check out the proper belt, measuring it for both length and width. Then compare the measurements with your belt. You don't have to buy one to know if that is the problem.
Does the machine move, like in forward or reverse? Is there something maybe "locked up" that is causing the belt to slip rather than the machine to move?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it moves. It drives pretty good once I get up to speed, but if I give it full throttle when barley moving the belt slips like in the video.

I am holding the front break in the video.

I will get to a Polaris Dealer as soon as I can and post. I live in BFE Illinois so I might be a day or so.

·
Registered
280 Posts
first does the secondary spin freely by hand,second make sure there is 0 oil on anything.use a can of brakekleen.third look for space between the slides and primary buttons.should be 0 space. any space and the movable sheave binds.with the belt off see how smoothly you can push the clutch in.it will be hard to do but with strength and a good weighted slow shove i have done it looking for binding.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Someone on YouTube told me he thought my secondary clutch spring is bad? If someone can confirm this please let me know.
Thanks again to everyone!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the rear end jacked up and had it in gear and turned the secondary clutch. It moved very smoothly and turned the back wheels fine. Everything is clean and free of oil.

I don't know what the slides and primary buttons are.
I will try to push the clutch in this evening and post.

·
Registered
280 Posts
look at the primary there are three sets of two slides,buttons oneither side that run on both sides.the secondary has plastic pieces that the movable helix runs on that could also be bound up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@mechanike......so will I have to disassemble both clutches?
If so, the videos someone posted on here show a special tool to remove the main clutch and also a tool to take apart the secondary clutch. Do you know a homemade way of doing this? And thank you for all of your input!

·
Registered
280 Posts
the primary can be visual till you find whats wrong the secondary is removed without special tools ,just needs snapring pliers to open but there is a procedure.in the video is it in gear? cause if it is your not gonna find out anything.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Jeeze Loise,,,,,Seacrest Out,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts