Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find the VIN number and the Motor Serial number on a 1996 Polaris Express 400 2 stroke.

I have never checked these to see if they match or if there is any history on this atv.

Once I get these numbers, where can I go to check the VIN and Motor Serial number to ensure it is all stock or not stolen?

Thanks in advance,
Drew

·
Registered
527 Posts
The engine model number will be on top of the recoil. The serial number will be stamped in the chassis by the left front tire. Email them to me and I can look them up for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I couldn't find a number above the recoil and the frame looks like an after market (is that even possible?) (couldn't find a number there either).

Ok, I admit, I might be missing it, but I really looked and didn't see anything.

So, is there a way to get this bike looked at or do I even need a title to ride on public lands in Ohio? I was wanting to get this registered so I could ride here in Ohio. I am not to worried about insuring it (I might have to pay someone to take it...LOL). At this point is has become a challenge and a mission of salvage....I am pretty proud of myself at this point.

I might give you a call tomorrow and see where I should go from here?

Thanks for all the help - I really appreciate it.

Droopy

·
Registered
527 Posts
There is usually a tag on the recoil housing, and yes it is possible it could have come off. The serial number will be stamped in the frame there should be both letters and numbers. They did not make an aftermarket frame for those machines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DDD,

I will look again when I get home. It is possible I missed it, but it was a basket case when I got it.

Not sure if the old guy I bought if off of - pieced it together from several or not.
I will get into it tonight after I get home from work and wash the frame really good. It should be there.

Thanks again for all the help, it is definetly a learning experience....LOL.

Droopy
www.droopydrewcomedy.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping someone can please help with limited information. I'm trying to find an ATV VIN number for the insurance company who has our company's vehicle policies. One of our ATV's is a 2005 Ranger with serial #0000000026128 and model #1341442, but even our maintenance man wasn't able to find the VIN #. Where is it located or is anyone in this thread able to find it using the model and serial number? Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
VINs

How do you match the VIN on the frame to the eninge? Is there another place for a VIN to match?? Believe my ATV is stolen and the front frame was switched out to cover up the theft

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
How do you match the VIN on the frame to the eninge? Is there another place for a VIN to match?? Believe my ATV is stolen and the front frame was switched out to cover up the theft
I'm not sure ATV's are matched like that. To many people blowing motors, or breaking frames for that to ever maintain any continuity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The engine model number will be on top of the recoil. The serial number will be stamped in the chassis by the left front tire. Email them to me and I can look them up for you.
I have found X2315482X stamped on the right side, by the shifter. I was told it was a 1994 400 4x4 Trailboss. Would you be able to tell me what it really is?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
With regard to the issue of matching VIN to engine serial, you'd have to contact a Polaris dealer. They can look it up on the dealer net. That's the easiest way anyway. When the ATV is originally manufactured, the build information is all put in a database. It has all of the info pertinent to the ATV that is associated with the VIN, like ATV model#, engine serial#, gear case#, etc... As was stated in an earlier thread, there's not really any continuity to what engines they put in what frame. It's just the next engine that comes down the assembly line.

With regard to missing VIN stamps on frames, if the frame was replaced due to an accident or something, there might not be a VIN stamped in to it. Polaris does offer replacement frames, but they are shipped VIN-less. They can be purchased by anyone. They have a part number just like any other Polaris part. What you're supposed to do is cut the VIN out of the old frame with a cut-off wheel and permanently attach it to the new frame, usually by welding it. Another option would be re-stamping the frame with those awful letter/number stamp dies. In either case, whoever does the frame swap is responsible for doing this. We all know some dealers are more reputable than others. And, if the frame swap was done in somebody's private garage, who knows what could have happened??? Like I said, the frames can be purchased by anyone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts