Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Couldn't decide to get a Terra 3500 or go cheap with a Badlands 3500 and upgrade to a synthetic rope. Figured the cheap route would put me close to a Terra 3500 if upgrading the Badlands with a synthetic rope, fair-lead and two year warranty.

Trying for a more complete comparison and options I checked out the Vipers since they have a following on multiple websites. I thought good prices and if customer service is as good as mentioned as well as the winches; well might not be a bad way to go.

First I had to get past the easy exchange at Harbor Freight if the Badlands winch failed within the extended warranty. That took some doing since HF is only about 20-25 min away.

After looking at specs, cost, and reading many reviews on various sites I pulled the trigger on the Viper Max 5000. I know over kill right? Well I upgraded to the .25" line and yes I lost ten feet in length so I purchased a 50 foot extension from Custom Splice.

Back on the over kill: if you look at the specs on the winch it has roughly the same (expressed) pull rating as most winches found on ATVs and even many UTVs with a full wrap when the VM5000 is on its last wrap. Add the snatch block and it (theoretically) should out pull the 8660 lb winch line so:
1. I should not be able to over work the winch given proper pulls and cooling cycles.
2. Amp draw at what I figure would be my working load was less (in the Viper line)
3. I should be able to retrieve self and others on the trails as long as I have a good anchor.
4. My daughter (12) said go big or go home. Now will that have implications in a few years..? Don't know, but she knows she is not allowed to date until she is 34.
5. Always thought to much must be just about right.

Now why not the Elite series?
- Cost though I could had got an Elite 4000 for about the same price.
- Again research
- Many find the placement of the contactor hard and the larger contactor would had been harder I was thinking.
- Seems after I moved all items that uses batteries corrode quickly.
- more electronics to worry about
- Here is the biggie for me. The VM5000 has nearly a 2HP (1.9x) motor. May not need it, but again I figure it might be harder to over heat and over work it.
- Higher amp draw (than the VM5000)

I do see many uses for a Wireless remote hence I did not mount the wired remote not wanting a hole if not needed. Just might decide to upgrade at some point.

The Elite series does have better water protection, but it doesn't seem to matter much to the mud crowd that uses the Max series and the mud crowd stands behind even the Viper Classics it seems.

Installation: Mostly straight forward, but let me add my .02 to the many that are not happy with the instructions and say the written instructions are lacking. By no means does it stop one from getting the job accomplished though. The instructions are good enough. Just not precise or updated.

1. Fair-lead bolts. I believe I used the wrong ones once installed. The ones I used were for a Steel cable roller fair-lead I am suspecting. Done and not worried about changing them out. EDITED to say the other bolts were in the box. I didnt see them until I was pulling everything out of the box after the install. What MA does is send the base mount out with their winches. Then if you order your rides custom mount you still get the base mount shipped as well as the bolts for it. My bag and not MAs
2. Placed the bracket that connects the winch mount to the ATV on first. Nope has to be bolted on as a complete unit. This turned into a plus and I suggest all to do so; just don't torque the bolts down. Reason is It was easy to hold/install the winch and mount as a unit knowing how to access the bolts and nuts vs trying to figure it out while holding the winch. I used a 3 inch and a 6 inch extension as well as a swivel with electrical tape wrapped twice (not tight, but slightly snug)to take up the slack/free-play (in other words stiffen the swivel just a bit so it wasn't floppy) as well as a wrench.
3. Contactor was different/upgraded and since the color coding did not match, nor the diagram I called customer service and was informed I had the upgraded/newest connector shipped. Hey fantastic, but I hate not knowing for sure if I am hooking wires up correctly hence the call.
4. Mounting the contacter - what a pain in de arse. After searching high and low and I went with mounting it under the battery. As my observant 12 yo daughter pointed out there is mud on the battery is that a good place? Time will tell. Word of caution. If mounting under the battery move the contactor all the way right or left and if you can angle. Might look at angling it as well. I marked my holes on top , drilled, then found the wires to be a problem. I then went I though far enough to the right and made it work. Easy just go all the way right and be done with it.
5. If one wanted to save cables there is enough of the blue and yellow cables to use and save your red and black or if the contacter was moved to the left The red and black might be enough to use and save the yellow and blue. I shortened all of mine.
6. Using a RAM mount for my G62S I used Velcro to mount the switch to the left side of the light pod. Doesn't look bad at all and can be pulled off for a mini wired remote.

BTW with my hands not what they were I used a C-clamp to crimp the connectors onto tho the shortened cables. My vise would had been better, but I had not mounted it since my move and not sure where it was located/buried.

I need to adjust my pre-load but other than that it stood up to 4 hours of trail, small hill climbing (some air) rock crawling, sand, mud and of course water yesterday.

AFA packaging and delivery, both were fantastic. Great packaging, and received the package two days sooner than informed.

Oh I think orange line looks really good but I got the green to match the X2 which is kind of neat.

Besides the Viper extras one also gets to chose from a variety of line colors in two sizes or a steel cable. Winch model depicts which type of line is standard. All line types are optional I understand.

I could easily do the same install again in less than two hours. Maybe an hour even if I had everything ready and laid out.

Thought everything was built tough except for the cable boots.

Thus far I am pleased with the purchase and from my example it appears Viper is a well made winch. With limited customer service contact the customer service seems incredibly proficient.

I did not have to trim any body parts to make it fit.

I thought I was going to use the winch yesterday to pull a couple of rides out of the lake but the family said they were good. They shoved the smaller ride (kids) out with muscle and hooked the full size ATV up to anther full size ATV with no luck as I was watching. Again I offered assistance but the rider jumped off and with a prideful shove and heave along with the other four wheeler got the ride out of the lake. So, dang it. I haven't put the winch to the test yet. Be nice if I never have to though - at least for self.

sb

·
Registered
575 Posts
How do you have it mounted? I wouldn't think a 5000lb winch would fit in the front under the radiator.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
How do you have it mounted? I wouldn't think a 5000lb winch would fit in the front under the radiator.
Used the Viper mounting kit. No problems with the mounting. Tires lock to lock, under compression etc.

Nice and snug as a bug in a rug. Okay maybe to much, but it fits with no issues.

sb
Edited to add 2013 550x2 Viper mounting kit.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wowee, could you post some pics? How is the line speed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pull in lbs No Load 500 1000 1500 2000 3000 3500 4000 4500 5000
Line Speed ft/min 26 20 16 14 11 7 6 4 3 2

Not a speed demon once the wt increases but I figure if I am pulling someone at that rate they are better off then not moving at all.

It seems that most if not all Vipers conform to the same line speeds.

136:1 ratio.

Drum size: Diameter 2.0” / Length 2.9”

Overall size: 14 3/8 x 4 1/2 x 4 5/8

22 lbs with 40' Amsteel blue

1.95hp motor

Fourth layer of cable is rated at over 3400 lbs.

This might be better
http://motoalliance.com/vol_user/uploads/EStoreComp/MX5000SynthTech.pdf

Not sure how to attach pics but if you provide an email I will email pics.

sb

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
That's a great write up. I was at Motoalliance a month or so ago toured the place and signed on as as dealer for them. Was very impressed with their facility, customer service, and build quality. Especially the plows that are built right here in MN. Just ordered myself the elite 4000 for my 850 and moved my Runva 3500 to the daughters 500.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a great write up. I was at Motoalliance a month or so ago toured the place and signed on as as dealer for them. Was very impressed with their facility, customer service, and build quality. Especially the plows that are built right here in MN. Just ordered myself the elite 4000 for my 850 and moved my Runva 3500 to the daughters 500.
Sorry I was unaware that you were a dealer. Knew you were connected with QSC, but not MA, or I would had asked for a quote.

Let the board know if you have not already (other than this post)

I am impressed with my Viper thus far and hope you are/will be as well.

sb

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
No worries. Just locked them in a couple weeks ago. Continually adding stuff to my list. More than I can keep up with at the moment with getting a site built a second time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts