Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanna put a Viper 4000lb winch in my '06 Sportsman 500 HO. Does it come with all the brackets/hardware to put it in? Or do I have to get some specific stuff to mount on the Polaris? Trying to get all my ducks in line before I dive into this. Any Info would be great.

:)

·
Registered
421 Posts
my quess would be youd have to buy the mount for your atv. i dunoo if the winch comes with the handel bar switch, and contractor. the atv should have the main power cables run from by the battery to the right side under the fender.

G

·
I'm getting ready to do a similar install. I understand that if you install a Viper winch bigger than 3000# you will need to modify the winch opening on the Sportsman HO and that your access to the freespool switch will be limited. I spoke to a technician at Viper and he said the install should be easy, except that the Polaris is prewired for the winch with proprietary cable ends which need to be cut off and new ends spliced on. The Polaris proprietary wiring mates to the winches sold by Polaris with their own branding.

I will appreciate all suggestions anyone can offer, especially if you have installed a non-Polaris winch on a Polaris Sportsman.

G

·
Rube,

Your original request for info about installing a Viper winch dates back a while, so maybe you've already done the job. I've just ordered a 3000# Viper for my 09 Sportsman HO. If you have any suggestions about installing it, I would appreciate hearing them. I expect that the instructions that come with the winch will be complete, but there is no substitute for suggestions from someone who has done it recently. Thanks in advance.

I don't know about you, but I'm a bit disappointed with this forum. The members don't seem to be nearly as helpful as I've experienced with motorcycle forums. I'm used to posing a question and getting numerous, timely, and useful feedbacks. You asked your question back in March and got practically nothing. I followed up a few days ago asking for similar information, still no responses. I guess everyone is out riding.

Henry Hess
Queensbury (Lake George Area) NY

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
I believe tha the forum is really new, and doesn't have a big pool of people to draw an answer to some questions from. But as the membership grows so shall the amount of answers to questions. And as I have read before, you'll need a mounting plate for your rig to mount any winches to your Polaris. Unless I'm wrong? And I've been wrong many times before, just ask my wife!:p:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts