Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My new to me quad is a 2016 570 SP, my battery voltage indicator on the pod was telling me that my battery voltage was low at 10 volts ! Wait a minute, it starts fine, how could it be 10 V ? My voltmeter says the battery is 13V. I dang near bought a new battery until I thought about 10V for a minute. I can understand the pod being off a little, but 3V ! That's ridiculous. Do others see this? I can't imagine there's any way to adjust the readout. Makes me wonder how many have purchased a new battery and didn't need it.

·
8,717 Posts
My new to me quad is a 2016 570 SP, my battery voltage indicator on the pod was telling me that my battery voltage was low at 10 volts ! Wait a minute, it starts fine, how could it be 10 V ? My voltmeter says the battery is 13V. I dang near bought a new battery until I thought about 10V for a minute. I can understand the pod being off a little, but 3V ! That's ridiculous. Do others see this? I can't imagine there's any way to adjust the readout. Makes me wonder how many have purchased a new battery and didn't need it.
Yep, I've got a 2018 Sportsman 1000 that started showing overvoltage warning and 15.5-16.5 vdc after being out in extreme heat and then a heavy thunderstorm.
Tested everything on it. Found condensation inside the display. Dried it out the best I could and got it to come down some but it still consistently shows around 2 volts more on the display than what the machine is actually producing. I still get an overvoltage warning on occasion but no other problems. I suspect the only cure would be a new display but that's expensive. I'm just gonna run it for now.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Isn’t it better to know when and if your voltage is dropping? Like when your voltage regulator is frying? Been through that so I watch voltage and temperature constantly.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Isn’t it better to know when and if your voltage is dropping? Like when your voltage regulator is frying? Been through that so I watch voltage and temperature constantly.
Seriously, a gauge you can't trust might be worse than no gauge.
So your logic would be no gauge is best? Why would monitoring your voltage and temperature ever be a bad thing?

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
My guess is that you have dirty/corroded wiring connectors in the wire loom somewhere. The battery may have 13v but not all that voltage is getting to where it needs to go due to resistance?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My guess is that you have dirty/corroded wiring connectors in the wire loom somewhere. The battery may have 13v but not all that voltage is getting to where it needs to go due to resistance?

I certainly thought of that and cleaned the connections at the terminal block up front, where I also took the battery readings. Everything else looked real good, even though I know you can't always see it. 3V is a HUGE drop for bad connections. Not really likely. The quad only has 350 miles on it and has been sitting in a garage in Arizona most of it's life. I would assume the connections I need to see are in the pod? Which I'll check as I can. Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
8,717 Posts
Well guys, in a perfect world you'd want to have absolutely accurate information about all engine parameters like temp, voltage, oil pressure, etc. However, unless you've added a oil pressure gauge you don't have that on your machines and that's probably the most important information you could have! I'd venture to guess that neither of you guys have EVER checked your oil pressure??
Spending $275 to replace an almost-new display because the voltage shows the wrong value with a brand new display that may or may not be any more accurate doesn't make a lot of sense unless its causing other problems. I can check the voltage output in about 2 minutes for free if I think there is actually a problem. It is annoying to have to do so on a nearly new machine but its really no biggy. Besides, if you know the amount of inaccuracy you can just add or subtract that amount from the reading shown. When my display says 15.5 volts I know that the machine is actually charging at 13.5 Very simple and it costs nothing!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Mine reads a little low. I’ve considered one of these but not sure if it would be any more accurate.
Well guys, in a perfect world you'd want to have absolutely accurate information about all engine parameters like temp, voltage, oil pressure, etc. However, unless you've added a oil pressure gauge you don't have that on your machines and that's probably the most important information you could have! I'd venture to guess that neither of you guys have EVER checked your oil pressure??
Spending $275 to replace an almost-new display because the voltage shows the wrong value with a brand new display that may or may not be any more accurate doesn't make a lot of sense unless its causing other problems. I can check the voltage output in about 2 minutes for free if I think there is actually a problem. It is annoying to have to do so on a nearly new machine but its really no biggy. Besides, if you know the amount of inaccuracy you can just add or subtract that amount from the reading shown. When my display says 15.5 volts I know that the machine is actually charging at 13.5 Very simple and it costs nothing!
Which is why I wrote what I wrote in my first response to this thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yep Polman500, it is NOT a big deal, another advantage to having the Battery Tender lead right there to stick a VM on if there are ever any questions. As long as it starts, I'm not worrying about it. :grin Thanks to everyone for the responses.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For sure, it's not a perfect world.

In my mind, I wouldn't have implied going through the $$$ of replacing the OEM gauge was the way to go, so much as supplementing it with an inexpensive aftermarket unit to verify. Given the amount of voltage rectifier threads we see on a weekly and sometimes daily basis, I would definitely want any heads up I could get to avoid the voltage rabbit hole. I'd just be wary if my stock gauge reported that same +2V through all conditions, under WOT, under load, etc. That's a lot of testing. Also, I really hate being lied to by inanimate objects. :grin

Funny you mention the oil pressure, I've been saving an old post about someone adding an oil pressure gauge with the intention to do it one day.

Thinking about going digital, since his gauge pegged repeatedly at 30PSI. Like Sprots, I don't think you can have too many sources of information.

·
8,717 Posts
LOL, I hear ya Thunderbear. It sure never hurts to double check things.
You may still get a pegged out gauge on cold starts if the ambient temp is really low no matter what you use.
I don't like it either when a gauge lies to me. I can compensate but you'll never trust it anymore when you get an inaccurate readout.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a 2015 and mine does it a lot I just trust my battery since I maintain it well.

·
8,717 Posts
I have a 2015 and mine does it a lot I just trust my battery since I maintain it well.
Does what a lot??
Shows overcharge or undercharge?
Have you actually checked to see what voltage the machine is or isn't charging?
What do you mean by "maintain your battery well"... How?
Maintaining the battery doesn't have a lot to do with the display lying to you about what the charging system is doing.

·
Registered
519 Posts
^^^That and a “well maintained” battery won’t matter if rectifier or stator fail. Still might try one of these and test results against a good multi meter. When riding I toggle(PIA)back and forth between temp. and voltage. If one of these tested fairly accurate I could monitor temp. and voltage without toggling. Somebody on this site installed one, can’t remember who, I’d like to ask him.

Attachments

·
8,717 Posts
^^^That and a “well maintained” battery won’t matter if rectifier or stator fail. Still might try one of these and test results against a good multi meter. When riding I toggle(PIA)back and forth between temp. and voltage. If one of these tested fairly accurate I could monitor temp. and voltage without toggling. Somebody on this site installed one, can’t remember who, I’d like to ask him.
Sprotsman, you need to relax and enjoy your ride lol. You're worrying too much if you're wearing the button out toggling back and forth to check temp and voltage. Unless something appears to be wrong, I may look a couple times while out all day... Or... Maybe not.
Don't worry be happy and gas on it!! :grin

·
Registered
519 Posts
Well I’ve become more relaxed with both machines getting new RicksMotorSport Electrics voltage regulators. But it’s hard to forget being 15 miles out and VR fried. The tow out wasn’t fun and it wasn’t flat terrain either. I know what going on on my bike but making it easier for the boy to monitor helps. Part of it is just the mod bug too!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts