Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 ranger 700. Had my 3rd regulator go out within a year and a half. The first replacement was a cheap one from eBay. The 2nd was from rm stator.
I use this for farm use. It does have a light bar on it and I also have a 12v sprayer on it. Very rarely would I be using both at the same time.
Am I pulling to much that would be causing them to short out and is there a cure for it or are regulators just that hit or miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
6,998 Posts
You need to check your battery. It may be weak or shorted causing the charging system to be overloaded.....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Voltage checks out. Only thing I haven’t done is put a load test on it

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've never had any luck with aftermarket VRs even the rm ones. I thought the polaris ones were bad at times but aftermarket ones are complete junk. You pay more for the polaris ones but they last the best.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,603 Posts
Are you keeping your batt on a tender when not in use?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you keeping your batt on a tender when not in use?
No I don’t use tenders but my machines never sit more than a couple days at a time. Especially this one. I feed with it normally

·
Premium Member
19’ 850SP Camo. MtAiry Maryland
1,603 Posts
Ok, here’s my thoughts…..I would load test the battery to make certain of its condition…If the charging system/VR has the immediate constant task of charging the battery and running the Sprayer- that might be over tasking it.

·
Registered
97 Polaris 500 sportsman 4x4 Indepedent shaft drive, 2000 Honda 450S foreman
37 Posts
I would maybe install a 2nd battery somewhere and or wire it with a relay in the loop. Had similar issues wiring my fan and also added led bars to fromt of my 97 dinosaur 500 sportsman. A full charged battery is 12.6-12.8V a battery showing 12.2v is only @ 50% capacity

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Either mount the rec/reg to an aluminum plate or sandwiched between two aluminum plates to increase the cooling capacity or try another 5 wire rec/reg of larger physical size or split the load and use two std rec/reg - it will require a connector, some wiring and splicing, but rec/reg's fail from heat or simply poor quality materials. Adding a second battery just increases the load on the rec/reg and may cause them to fail more frequently.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I've never had any luck with aftermarket VRs even the rm ones. I thought the polaris ones were bad at times but aftermarket ones are complete junk. You pay more for the polaris ones but they last the best.

Have you ever tried a RicksMotorSportElectrics or a CycleWorx? Either one blows away OEM!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Either mount the rec/reg to an aluminum plate or sandwiched between two aluminum plates to increase the cooling capacity or try another 5 wire rec/reg of larger physical size or split the load and use two std rec/reg - it will require a connector, some wiring and splicing, but rec/reg's fail from heat or simply poor quality materials. Adding a second battery just increases the load on the rec/reg and may cause them to fail more frequently.
Good stuff, obviously installing a 2nd battery will require more wiring etc for proper functionality, but better to simplify this than make it more difficult on the guy haha

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you ever tried a RicksMotorSportElectrics or a CycleWorx? Either one blows away OEM!
Yep I have been using the ricks and so far so good.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’ll try the easy fix first and grab one from ricks unless you know of a bigger one late bird. I saw cycleworx was only for newer and bigger machines but I haven’t ruled out giving them a call and asking if they could put my plugs on one. I need to test the regulator on it now for warranty and I’ll check the battery again while I’m at it.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
RicksMotorSportElectrics or CycleWorx will accommodate you. Just have to call them. CycleWorx is more money but they are lifetime guarantee. RicksMotorSportElectrics is a solid choice though.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help guys. Was hoping there was better products available

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you tried ebay? Honestly there’s a few names on the market that I would trust in lieu of polaris but they seem to like their products, from experience you get what you pay for and sometimes even then u lose. End of day you only need a functional throttle and brakes 😎…brakes r optional haha, good luck im gonna have to find a thread or start 1 bc jm tearing my 97 500 down to the bearings and u joints while im replacing the motor mounts etc, it’s cheap and not really difficult. Better to spend a few hundred now and then the remaining life of the machine they will be good, in not letting my kids or wife on something I don’t trust on a trail!!

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
I’ll try the easy fix first and grab one from ricks unless you know of a bigger one late bird.
Well, I put one from a Honda CB900 on a problematic Hyosung GV600 (Korean made Suzuki SV600) - the Honda unit while being 4x4 instead of 3.5 x3.5 bolted up to the same holes and fit under the bodywork without interference - the Suzuki rec/reg was a direct plug in while the Honda unit had a pigtail connector - the connector pins were the same size so I just changed the plug on the wiring harness of the vehicle to mate to the Honda R/R - that bike never had a rec/reg unit failure again.

Just need to compare the OEM unit to various units on the market

·
Registered
37 Posts
Apologies, off topic. Is there a sticky or thread somewhere on how to attack removing lower back motor mounts? Mine are si horribly loose it sounds like a very bad rod or bearing knock…this is on 97 500 sportsman 4x4 non H.O. Im asking I know the obvious but I’m afraid it may have actually broken in the engine block that side of a stud I can post a video or attach it somewhere or in another thread I just need direction

1 - 19 of 19 Posts