Polaris ATV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i saw the battery light flashing (it only came on when driving, not when stopped) and when i checked the voltage from the battery i saw it was normal at idle but as i rev up the engine the voltage went up to 17 or 18. i looked at the voltage regulator and saw that it looked burnt so i replaced it. after i put the new one i went for a drive and saw smoke, and the battery light is flashing again. what should i do next? is there something that could be causing the regulator to go out? i dont want to put a 3rd on and have that one go out right away too.

·
Administrator
18,800 Posts
A severely discharged battery or high current accessories can cause them to fail as much as putting on cheap Amazon parts.

·
Premium Member
2008 800 ho efi, 2019 850 SP premium
13,343 Posts
i saw the battery light flashing (it only came on when driving, not when stopped) and when i checked the voltage from the battery i saw it was normal at idle but as i rev up the engine the voltage went up to 17 or 18. i looked at the voltage regulator and saw that it looked burnt so i replaced it. after i put the new one i went for a drive and saw smoke, and the battery light is flashing again. what should i do next? is there something that could be causing the regulator to go out? i dont want to put a 3rd on and have that one go out right away too.
Welcome to the forum.
From the official Forum greeter, beware of the imitators.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts

·
Administrator
18,800 Posts
What would be considered high current?
Based on the size of the wires from the stator to the rec/reg - about 5 amps or more is high, but most charging system problems can be traced to inferior connectors and wire terminations.

Reactions: Duse
1 - 8 of 8 Posts