Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2006 sportsman 800efi. battery light blinks and speed needle flashes at around 3000 rpm. its got a pretty new battery in it and a brand new regulator. i've checked the stator per instructions i found on here and i think it is good. what else should i be checking. the voltage at 3000 rpm is 18. i know this has been discussed on here before but i haven't found a good answer as to what might be causing this.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
It was 18 volts before and after the regulator change? I ask because I am wondering if you got a bad one.

Pretty simple system. Stator makes AC voltage, regulator rectifies it (changes it to DC) and regulates it at about 14.5 VDC. Then sends it to the battery. I would say your wires are good if you have 18 VDC at the battery when running at 3k. With the three replaceable units being the battery, regulator, and stator, and since you changed 2 of them already...I would have to say bad stator. But from my personal experience, and what I have seen on here, the Regulator (or PDM) goes bad a lot more often.

Sean

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. The old regulator was doing the same thing. I will have the battery tested. How can the battery cause the voltage regulator to have high output? I tested the stator and got about 60 volts ac from each of the three terminals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts