Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the battery in my 2000 Xpedition 425 and discovered the voltage regulator is also defective causing the alternator to overcharge. I have located a replacement regulator online and will order today. The defective regulator has been removed. Do I risk damaging anything if I run the bike with the regulator removed provided I make sure the connections are all taped up to make sure they don't short against anything? I will put the battery on a charger periodically to keep it in good shape until the new part arrives.

TIA

Keith

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Have never tried that, I know without a battery it will blow all the lght bulbs , not sure if it needs the regulator to limit the amps or not, sorry cant answer that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip on running with no battery. Says something about the voltage regulator.

Anybody tried running with the voltage regulator disconnected from the alternator and battery?

·
11,250 Posts
I'm like Russ, never tried it. Will it even run without it? I don't think I would want to anyway. There's too much potential for frying other components.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the battery side will be OK. Just no charge current to the battery thus the need to use a battery charger. I am more concerned about running the alternator with no load and frying something expensive. When I was disgnosing the regulator problem I found that I could get the VR output to an acceptable level if I turned on the headlights to load the alternator.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
First how do you know it is overcharging the battery?

Second, do not run it with out the regulator. Not even for a minute.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First how do you know it is overcharging the battery?

Second, do not run it with out the regulator. Not even for a minute.
A properly working regulator to charge a lead acid battery should never exceed around 14.5 volts. On this bike the battery terminal voltage with a new fully charged battery is in excess of 16 volts. As I understand the common failure mode for these regulators is to output unregulated voltage.

What is the outcome of running with the regulator disconnected?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Same as a runaway alternator in a car. Boiling battery, burnt bulbs, smoked electronics, and eventually burnt alternator windings or in this case stator windings. Replace the regulator.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
34 Posts
i just ran mine with no regulator i just made shure that the three yellow live wires didnt touch anything all it does is kills your battery,just un hook the black and red wires from the regulator going to the battery as well

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just finished changing the VR. Battery voltage at idle is 14.2. Reved up to 3-4K is 14.5. All is well. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Voltage Regulator

I have a 2015 Polaris 900 Trail ESP with voltage problem. I have had my voltage regulator replaced by dealer because of overcharging issues. Once your RZR voltage is too high your power steering stops working and indicator lights illuminate to the problem. My new regulator is charging between 13.8 & 14.8 volts which concerns me because before my RZR had a problem it was steady at about 14.1 volts. I have been left in the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming in June because voltage dropped too low. Polaris Industries will not release details concerning normal Voltage Regulator operating temperature of charging voltage telling me to consult dealer. My question is where can I order an aftermarket voltage regulator for my RZR that would give me reliability and piece of mind?

·
Registered
4 Posts
voltage regulator problem

I was able to order an aftermarket voltage regulator for my 2015 Polaris RZR Trail from Rick's and for a fee they put a 10 ft. extended harness to allow for front mount. Hope this will solve my overheating issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was able to order an aftermarket voltage regulator for my 2015 Polaris RZR Trail from Rick's and for a fee they put a 10 ft. extended harness to allow for front mount. Hope this will solve my overheating issue.
I too ordered the VR from Rick and I also requested the harness so I can mount the VR in front of the radiator.
Were you going to mount the VR in front of the radiator? and if so, did you have plenty of harness to reach the front?
I ordered a 8ft harness. Do you think this will be long enough?

thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2015 900 Trail EPS , they are all two seater 50 inch models. I do lots of mountain trail riding out West so wider models would restrict the areas I could enjoy

1 - 16 of 16 Posts