Voltage regulators go bad quite often. I had one go out on my 2011 850 X2 and it caused an over voltage problem. But they can also cause the battery to not charge. So essentially while you're riding the ATV, it will be operating off battery power instead of alternator/stator power. Once the battery drains it will shut off and not restart because the battery will be dead.
Often times as an ATV sits the battery will regain some charge and will start up as if nothing was wrong or as if it started because it was allowed to cool down. Very frustrating indeed.
To determine if your battery is being charged simply use a voltmeter to measure the battery voltage while the engine is running. You can do this right at the battery terminals. You're battery should read roughly 12 vdc (volts DC) at the terminals while it's sitting. Once the ATV is running it will continue to read 12 vdc until you give it some throttle. Then the reading at the battery terminals should read between 13-15 vdc. If it stays at 12 vdc or less then you have a problem with your charging system and it could be your voltage regulator. If it reads over 15 vdc then you definitely have a problem with the voltage regulator.
The over voltage system could lead to a lot of other problems previously mentioned such as blown bulbs or fuses. If you replace your voltage regulator make sure to check your fuses as well as this can be even more frustrating especially when you change out a part and you still have the same problem because you didn't know you had a blown fuse contributing to the problem.
A forum community dedicated to Polaris ATV owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about Rangers, Sportsmans, Scramblers, Magnums, and others. Research modifications, troubleshooting, maintenance, and more!