Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody have a phone # that gets me in touch with someone that actually knows anything about our 850's. i was inquiring about getting the 2012 setup so i could try to solve the oil in the airbox issue, i also said to them i was going to to get every person on this forum that has this issue with oil in the airbox regardless of year and warranty that is left on it or like me don't have warranty anymore but was in the shop twice for that problem. i think it's time to try to get them to force a recall on this issue. anybody have any ideas ?

·
Registered
964 Posts
A recall would be nice...but they are usually associated with safety. So...prob not going to happen.

If your local dealer doesn't know about the oil in the air box, then I would find a NEW dealer.

Good luck...

biz
:hmmm:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i actually think it is a safety issue, if you get enough oil in the airbox it actually leaks out of the intake tube onto the hot motor. 1 person in argentina has had a bike burn to the ground ! we need more people to really get serious about this. i'm trying to start this process but i need help. 1 person complaining isn't going to do it. we need this whole forum to do it . anyone with this problem speak up and give me some ideas on how we can get a hold of the people that will listen to us polaris. someone has to know a phone # or email address.

·
Registered
34 Posts
first off i believe if you know this is an issue and you leave it go long enough for the airbox to get soaked in oil enough to catch the machine on fire well then you are somewhat to blame, imop. Now i had the same issue and took it to my dealer and they took it apart cleaned it up and put it back together the right way and so far no issue in about 250+ miles of hard on and off throttle running. A "GOOD" dealer should be able to fix this issue.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
i got 2012 parts for free they seem to work

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
how did you get them for free, also the dealer pulled it apart twice replaced parts and still had the issue. i don't care about doing the work myself i'm just sick of throwing money in for airfilter after airfilter, and oil that is not getting burned just wasted. i've put a siphon break on it which is fine, just a pain in the ass because you have to drain it every couple of rides butt i'm still wasting oil

·
Registered
2020 Sportsman 850
82 Posts
Mine had been in the shop 3 times for the oil issue. It seems they have corrected it. Polaris advise my dealer to remove the felt filter and drill a hole in the tube coming out under the L-Plate in the valve cover. this seems to have worked so far. Did 350 hard fast miles this weekend and no oil in the box at all. Pushed her to 60 plus mph several times just to make sure. To bad i like 1,650 miles before they corrected it. Polaris also has some new parts coming soon to replace my current ones. Some kind of update they say. What they did last week is just to get me by till the new parts get in.

Any good dealer should be able correct this for you. Good luck with the fix.

·
Registered
284 Posts
my 2010 is in the shop as we speak getting the oil in the airbox issue fixed (mines still under warranty), dealer told me they were going to put a labrynth in it...what ever that is. This is my first time having this problem, but I just bought the bike new in July, only has 19.6 hours on it. Took it in today for the 20 Hr oil change, and dealer discovered it.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
how did you get them for free, also the dealer pulled it apart twice replaced parts and still had the issue. i don't care about doing the work myself i'm just sick of throwing money in for airfilter after airfilter, and oil that is not getting burned just wasted. i've put a siphon break on it which is fine, just a pain in the ass because you have to drain it every couple of rides butt i'm still wasting oil
because recently polaris replaced my motor for free with out even a shop fee. When I went in for my 20 hour check up they said polaris sent me the new parts so they replaced them for me. 110 miles of fast trail riding to logging rodes (between 35 to 70 miles an hour) no oil in the air box.

once i get some more miles i will tell u how good its working.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so do he parts say bolt on to an 09 valve cover or do i have to replace it with a 12 valve cover ?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I dont no if they replaced the hole cover all they said is polaris sent in a new valve for the breather for your motor that should be the fix for the oil in the air box. I have to call up polaris at 1000 miles after geting the new cover and tell them how good it worked

·
Registered
553 Posts
Will not do you any good to call Polaris they just plain do not give a sh**.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i'll second that, called this morning after she talked to her supervisor i asked to talk to him. she said it wasn't allowed. i did feel sorry for her, she's just doing she's told, but i can't talk to the supervisor ? come on !

·
Registered
964 Posts
so do he parts say bolt on to an 09 valve cover or do i have to replace it with a 12 valve cover ?
It's my understanding that you get the 2012 valve cover too.

biz
:)

·
Registered
553 Posts
So am I to believe that Polaris is doing this repair free even for those out of warranty? My 2009 is still doing it even after the last repair that cost me a 100.00 bucks even with the extended warranty.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I called 411 and got 2 locations to call for polaris industries...one is actually the factory i think and security answered....no one to talk to there have to call that stupid hotline...they don't seem to care or know anything about the machines...I said look I'm standing in the field right now because my 850 is smoking with oil running out of the air box onto the motor....Im stranded and y'all can't even help me out..I said can i just talk to someone who knows something about the motor? NOPE! apparently no one who works for polaris knows anything about polaris!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah sounds about right, it feels like when i'm work, management tries to get the union to figure out how to fix these types of problems , meanwhile they're the ones making 200k a year to figure this crap out , not us. we are the union folks, i guess we are on our own to figure it out, while they sit back listen and learn from us , then take our ideas and profit from them. i love my 850 but it will be my last polaris , can am has an unbelievable warranty , there are so many in my town and it is just unbelievable how easy it is to get stuff done from brp.broken cv “no prob u want us to send it to you or are you going to drop it off ” thats how easy it is. don't get me wrong either i think our bikes are better all round then the can am but you have to love a company thats stands behind their product and spend the time over the phone to figure out problems for you and with you!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
see Polaris has been cool with me I have called them up and they have talked to me about every thing they have never declined a claim on something broken they have always got my bike back on the trails as fast as they could. When i called for oil in the air box they said "we got several new fixes and they toled me to try them out". They paid for all the parts and next day shipping. right now i got the 2012 set up and it seems to work. But maybe that's because we have bought 5 bikes from them and now are planing on buying a 550 and a 900 xp

1 - 20 of 27 Posts