Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm located in SE Ohio (but willing to travel if the price is right) and looking for a 50cc quad for my son. He is OBSESSED with ATVs. Right now he has the biggest powerwheels one they make, but as he is almost 3 and has full safety gear I think it is time for him to upgrade!! Hoping to find one ASAP so he can enjoy it this summer! I can't really afford more than $300, but even if your price is higher maybe I can work something out...he REALLLLY wants one :)

·
Registered
494 Posts

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Agree 4 is way too young. You can modify the Peg Perego so they have more speed by changing out the battery.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Agree 4 is way too young. You can modify the Peg Perego so they have more speed by changing out the battery.

Is there a site for that? My daughter has the pink Peg Perego Polaris Outlaw. She is a natural on it, but I'm not giving her a gas one yet. Just switch to a 24v battery? Anything else need to be modded?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sorry--did my post ask for advice or for people who have a 50 cc for sale? That girl that died was riding on a dirt path with no helmet. My child has been riding his power wheel quad (which goes 5 mph) since he was 14 months--he is not your average size 3 year old... 98th percentile height and weight since birth. He knows he is not even aloud to touch his quad if he isnt wearing his helmet (not some crappy helmet-a REAL helmet). I have a 2 acre FLAT yard that he will be riding on.

Regardless--I'm still looking.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I recently picked up an ETON 40cc Rascle for my 5 year old grandson on craigslist for $250. It runs great and parts are still available for it from Eton and parts houses. The small size is working great for him to learn on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Agree 4 is way too young.
Everyone has a right to their opinion, but age has nothing to do with it, a parent will know when their child is ready. I was given a Yamaha YZ 50 for my 4th birthday. I had been riding bicycles that were too big for me at this point and my parents felt I was ready for it. I had no problem handling it.

My daughter has been riding her Polaris Predator 50 since her 4th birthday. We kept it governed down, and had her only riding in the yard, while we watched. We would not let her out of the yard with us because we felt she was not ready for the terrain, I felt she was not good enough with the brakes. Just two days ago I let her start following me out of the yard, but just on smooth areas. The main thing I was worried about was her controlling the speed going down a hill. I had her follow me down a smooth hill, and the first time she did not keep it as slow as I did, but she was smart enough to go around me. I was barely moving, so she still was not going fast, just not as slow as me. Since then she has stayed right behind me, and now she can stop in the middle of a hill and hold it there.

Today we let her go out on some of the trails with us and she handled it great. I was nervous, but she did great. She handled the bumps, roots, and everything else great. I was really impressed. Of course she will not be hitting any of the steeper hills for a long time. We do it as follow the leader, I am in front, her in the middle, and her mother in back, that way I control how fast she goes on the different terrain.

One time she did look back to look at her mom and started to veer off of the trail. I stopped the ride and had a talk with her about it. She now stops if she wants to see where her mom is at behind her.

Sorry for the long post, but I am very proud of her riding the last few days. She is now 4 1/2 yrs old.

A parent will know when their child is ready. Kids advance at different rates. When you feel your child is ready, take them and size them up on a atv. Make sure they have a big open area to learn in, and get one that you can control the speed on.

Good luck finding one, I had to look for a while to find the one we bought.

As for the little girl that died, if she needed training wheels, she should not have been on it. That is just my opinion.

·
Registered
174 Posts
MC I don't think anyone was trying to attack your parenting choice. Just people concerned about safety. Only you as a parent can make that judgement call. For example my 15 yr old daughter is allowed to ride my ATV (only when I'm their to supervise). She took the online safety class and passed with flying colors, she always wears a helmet and safety gear, and NEVER drives beyond her abilities (basically she drives around the flat yard- won't even consider taking on my property that is a bit more challanging) However my 24 yr old son is not allowed to ride it. He is reckless and dangerous, refuses to take the ATV safety training, takes stupid chances and thinks that wide open throttle is the only position on an ATV. Everytime he visits he wants to take a buzz around the yard- but I refuse. As a parent only YOU can detirmine when and if your child is ready for the responsibility.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very Dangerous

My sons irresponsible mother tried to buy one of these for our son who JUST turned 3 because she felt he was advanced, and he rode his Toys R US ATV like a pro. Needless to say, he went to the hospital and got 23 stitches on his shoulder blade after it flipped over and we also got a call from CPS. If you love your child, wait till he or she is atleast 6 years old. These are very dangerous. So dont risk your childs life because you want them to be the next Carey Hart!!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I believe that this is the same reason why they banned ATC's. Quote (look at how beautiful my child is... look at how smart my child is...) Half the time real folks are shaking there heads. C'mon man. Can a three or four year old really understand the mechanics of a real machine. I bet that you have not even explained how the brakes work or even where they are to them. By all means I am not saying anything about your child at all or your paranting skills. Just make sure they know how to stop. All kids love to go fast and hit every mud puddle on the trail. Also a thing to remember is how long they are willing to ride before they get tired!!!! Fatigue sets in on kids alot sooner than you do.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have 4 kids.

My oldest son started on his 5th bday. Hes 17 now. XR50,RM80,LTZ400,LTR450, now on his KX250F.
Next son started on his 5th bday. Hes 6 now. Yamaha 50 bike, Raptor 50, now looking for a Raptor (or any brand) 90 ATV
Next is my 4 yr daughter. Next yr is the year.
Then my 22 month old.

Pretty much on there 5 th bday we introduce them to offroading with a real machine. They all started with the powerwheels around 2yrs old.

Ive seen some 4 yr olds that were bigger than my kids at 5. Its all about what they can handle, mind set,size,etc.
Ive seen tons of 10,11 hell even 12yr old children that have NO BUSINESS ON A MACHINE. They are goin to severly hurt themselves cause they arent ready and havent been taught correctly.
They need to know what you say goes. If not, there not ready.

To the OP. I think its great your introducing your little one to the sport. We need this. Good luke on your search. And please post up what you get'm. We all love pics. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just thought I would weight in, I have my almost 5 year old on a new Kymco mongoose 90r. I used the throttle set screw to start her off around 7 mph for a few weeks and now she is at 14 mph around our nice flat property. She always wears a helmet and chest protector, i tried her Peg Pereggo Outlaw at 24 volts and it was crazy fast with only on and off, no throttle control.
I think it has everything to do with the parents, I spent years charging batteries for her jeeps and quad and she does have some talent. I have a friend that bought a Can Am 90 for his girls and has no set screw in it. his kids range from 4-9 and I think that would be too dangerous if the young one jumped on it.
I plan on getting a 50 for my other daughter and setting it down to about 5-6 mph, a little bit faster than the Peg Pereggo and no batteries to charge. I don't mind buying good stuff if they can get some years out of it. If you are smart, and don't rush your kid, you can get some years out of a youth quad.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My son is 5 and has his own little wheeler, we started him when he was 4. He rides in our yard (no trees) and the machine is limited to about 7 miles per hour. I really don't see the difference in this and other battery powered machines that go 5 miles an hour. You have to talk to your children and make sure they are ready. Show them how everything works, how to stop and accelerate safely, and outfit them with all the safety equipment etc. I don't see anything wrong with it. He has never had an accident or been close to hitting anything, and he is learning the responsibilities that come along with the machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good Luck with your search. Don't think you'll ever find a Polaris 50 for that price even if it doesn't run they cost more. I did lots of research and felt that the polaris was the safest one for my son. I saved up and waited for a deal to come. It took a year, but I found a 07 Polaris Predator 50 for $700 and all that was wrong was a cracked plastic. My son is 4 1/2 yrs. old. I was expecting the worse in teaching him, but he has amazed us. I spent 2 loooong days pushing him around the driveway teaching him how to use the brakes. Steering he had no problem with. He also knows he is not allowed on the machine without jeans, helmet, gloves, & chest protector. Start with the basics and only allow your child what they can handle. After 2 weeks he can ride on the trails, through mud holes, over roots, and down hills. It's quite amazing to watch. I want to keep challenging him, but I have to step back and remember his age. He rides better after 2 weeks than my friends 10 yr. old that has riden for 4 yrs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm sorry--did my post ask for advice or for people who have a 50 cc for sale? That girl that died was riding on a dirt path with no helmet. My child has been riding his power wheel quad (which goes 5 mph) since he was 14 months--he is not your average size 3 year old... 98th percentile height and weight since birth. He knows he is not even aloud to touch his quad if he isnt wearing his helmet (not some crappy helmet-a REAL helmet). I have a 2 acre FLAT yard that he will be riding on.

Regardless--I'm still looking.
If you read the article she WAS waring a helmet "Linscott said the child, who wore a helmet and protective gear". I agree, that it is up to the parent to know when their child is ready to move to a bigger ATV. Good luck on finding the ATV.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wished I could help in knowing a quad for your son.

I do wish to chime in on age. I bought my son at 3 a PW50 with training wheels. He was geared up with Helmet Chest protector, knee and elbo pads and gloves. He loved that thing, he now at 6 rides an outlaw 50. He was still only 5 when we bought that.

I am a fan of starting them young. Its our responsability to see that the conditions are safe for them. Gear speed governer and place to ride.

Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts