Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi gang Real names Rob, I have been doing small engine repair for a little over 40 yrs now (man am I getting old) Used to run the Zimmerman Polaris shop back from 1989 to 1994 Had my shop since I was 16 "RPM Repair" up here in east central MN.
I work on boats, mowers, snowmobiles, ATV's, PWC's and all that fun stuff!
(ya right)
Got a question for any one with knowledge on that wonderful 2009 Polaris Sportsman XP 550!
Customer just bought his first ATV and thought he was getting a great deal on it.........you'll never guess why he brought it to me...............
Has a rattle in it when you slow down or it's just idling, 4000 miles on it.
From what he was telling me over the phone (and before I came and looked at this forum) my first guess was dirty clutches and worn weights?!?
He brought it in to me and I rode it a little used my trusty stethoscope and determined that the noise was coming from down low on the back of the trany!
Pulled the clutch cover off it to inspect (man that was fun) it is in the trany.
Then came here to read up a bit on it............
Is it really as bad as I'm reading?? Sound like it is really an inherent problem with this model this guy is a D.A.V and wanted this as a kind of powered chair to get around his yard and cabin!!! I'm starting to think fixing it for him is going to get real expensive and just throwing good money after bad!!
Your thoughts Please....................... Rob

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
09 550 sportsman xp trany noise

It sounds like the coupler has come loose
I'm now trying to figure out were to split the trany off from the engine , on the block itself, or to split the trany to get at the bolts that hold it to the engine

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
09 550 sportsman xp

I did find a manual from partshark doesn't really say anything about the trany?
I'm going over it again right now in the 'engine removal' section
All I was asking was if one of the ppl that have pulled one on this model could let me in on the easiest way to do this
looks like one has to split the trany to get to the mounting bolts that hold it to the engine block
as I got in there then I also noticed that the side of the engine block can be unbolted too
I didn't want to split the trany and have little parts fall out as I'm trying to get it out of the wheeler, you know
Thanks Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts