Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my Polaris heated grip & thumb heaters this morning. I am now shopping for a winch and with past luck with WARN going to get a Provantage 3500. I am going old school cable.

A few questions for those who have this model on an XP.

• Did you use the WARN mount or an alternative like a KFI mount?

• I assume the wires will be long for rear battery installs. Did you end up cutting wires and crimping/soldering on a lug?

or did you just buy shorter wires?

•One final install question... if you have a front brushguard on did you have to remove it along with the lower part of the stock plastic bumper?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I didn't use a warn winch on my xp, but I did use their mount. After seeing it, I would go with the KFI one as it's boxed in and much stronger than the warn which is just a bent plate. The cables that came with mine were way long and I cut them and put new ends on. The ones you have pictured are 1000 times better than what came on the cables too. I also threw out all the cheap Chinese bolts and went to the hardware store for good grade 8 bolts.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Moose mounts are also very strong

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good info!! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That KFI is really stout looking.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Don't get the moose mount for the xp. It looks like the kfi, but the winch bolts to the back instead of the top or bottom and pulls the threads right out of the winch body and folds you new winch in half. Don't ask how I know....

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
For $48 and free shipping I am going with the KFI.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The KFI mount is built like a brick sh*thouse. Fully boxed, and made from some pretty thick metal. My LT3000 is mounted to my XP850 with a KFI mount. Mounting was seamless, easy, and straightforward. They send good step-by-step directions for installing the winch as well as their winch mount along with the mount too.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The KFI mount is built like a brick sh*thouse. Fully boxed, and made from some pretty thick metal. My LT3000 is mounted to my XP850 with a KFI mount. Mounting was seamless, easy, and straightforward. They send good step-by-step directions for installing the winch as well as their winch mount along with the mount too.

Great to hear!!! I can't wait to finish up on these final mods next month.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope this new winch for the 550 gives me the same long life as the 3.0 on my 700. I paid roughly $400 for the 3.0 back in '05.

·
Registered
450 Posts
my LT2000 superwinch bolts to the back of my KFI mount.
That don't sound right... Should mount to the top of the mount, so that the winch itself is inverted. At least that's how my setup (LT3000, KFI mount, '12 XP850 Touring) is all put together.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gonna go over and bring my 550 back home tomorrow. Provantage 3500, KFI mount and WARN accessory pack should be here tomorrow. My grip/thumb heaters won't be here until next week. I want to have it all ready for end of April so wife and I can do some more riding for a week we have off.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone using a wireless kit with this winch?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Should the big roller be on the top or bottom on the fairlead? My other winch they are all the same. I will post pic of current orientation. I can easily change if wrong.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Big roller on bottom

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just taking my time with this. I got the KFI mount in there and the winch mounted. I am now working on the wiring and mounting the switch. I want to wire loom everything so need to pick some up from HF.

It's funny... I think WARN needs to hire a better technical writer and put out some instructions more specific for their different models. I think my install manual is generic for all of their winches and is fairly worthless. The KFI instruction sheet was actually more useful.

I didn't even see a parts lists. Just scattered bags you have to assume are for a specific area.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts