Polaris ATV Forum banner

Warn provantage plow

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  FredBear 
#1 ·
I've been looking at the warn front mount provantage plow, I've heard good things on this forum but bad on others from other brand bikes, im not really worried about the weight because I have highlighter hd springs but I've read that the plastic pulley thing that the winch line runs through is very weak and it breaks, I've read about this on the grizzly and can am forums but not here, could just be the way and angle of the winch???

#2 · (Edited)
Mine has bee working fine so far and I have used it a lot this year. I use a synthetic rope though instead of cable. Having said that I always thought a wheel pulley of some sort would be superior to the one used. There is supposed to be a kit to switch over and I doubt it would take much enginuity to rig your own one up. Never seen one, but this is Warn accessory

http://www.warn.com/atv/plows/plow_pulley.shtml

#3 · (Edited)
Many here boast about their Warn Front Mount Plow System.... a couple have had issues. Was it the plow or operator error..... who knows. Many others will tell you they like what they have. I personally have owned a Cycle Country, Eagle (American Mfg) and a Polaris Glacier 3 (currently). They all have there good and not so great features..... it's your call and thought on what will work for you the best.

So I'd ask myself.....

1) Do you install it in the fall and plow with it until spring and remove it?

2) Or do you remove it multiple times a season to allow for a ride?

- If so look into a system that is easy on / easy off.

3) Other seasons ground clearance.... how, what and whrere do you ride the rest of the year?

4) What style mount.... Mid, Front, Hybrid?

5) What type of landscape / surface will you be plowing?

6) Length of area (Long or small driveway)?

7) Type of plow do you desire (related to question #5 & 6).... Straight or County (or "V")?

8) Price / Budget?

Some of the good brands to look into are the....

KFI @ KFI ATV Snow Plow Systems - Snow Plows - KFI ATV Snow Plow - KFI ATV Winch, Mounts and Accessories

Eagle @ American Manufacturing - Home

Glacier @ https://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/Atv/pages/detail.aspx?ItemID=2879630(PolarisPGACatalog)

Warn @ Warn Industries - WARN ATV/Side x Side Plow: Choose Your System

Cycle Country @ Plow Systems - Cycle Country Access Corp

Note: I'd say of the above listed the KFI & Eagle's are about the heaviest and best built..... like a brick sh@t house style design and manufacture. Using thicker guage materials and good welding. Both of these are also produced in the USA (Minnesota Metro area to be exact)..... as the Warn is produced in China. This should speak of the welds and material quality in itself.... at least from what I've experianced, but I've also seen good too.

#5 ·
I'm in Ontario. All the brands are great units, but when I was looking at plows to get some of the popular US ones you get killed on shipping, handling, duties, and right now exchange rate. I went with the Warn because local dealer gave me a great price. I went with the Warn because at the time the blade was 17" and the Polaris unit was only 12" (?). Polaris' new one is 17" I believe. Check out Royal Distributing. They are Canadian and have freebie shipping on most stuff over a certain price. As well check out your local motorcyle shops. They should have access to all the big distributers in Canada. Where I got mine did not sell ATV's but said they sold tons of ATV accessories. Good luck.

#7 ·
I ran that for the first few times. Then I got a boat strap and just took that plastic pulley off and hooked it to the bolt that held that plastic pulley. You will break winch cable. I suggest doing what I did.

#8 · (Edited)
I love my front mount proadvantage. In fact when the 1st one was stolen, I bought another. The plastic part is not actually a pully. If you use metal winch cable it will ruin it quickly. I took mine off. Went to the local hardware store and bought a swivel mounted pully. 2" diam x 1/2" wide. $7.00. Has to be the kind that has a removable pin so you can take it apart to install cable. Real easy. Also do not mount to the plow bracket. Run cable through bottom of pully and then up to an arear above the winch. Front bumpers work great. Use a web strap or large strong carabiner. Will last a long time and you get good height on blade. You can use the spring lock pin on the bottom of the plastic one to mount the pully through the bolt hole. Quick set-up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.