Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just wondering if anyone has installed a warn winch on there 570 yet? the instructions say to mount box twards the rear of atv. But thats when the battery was back there also, because the red battery wire from the box wont reach the battery because it is mounted so far up. So I sacrificed my left pocket in my front cargo box for it. It looks nice and out of the way of water and mud. I will be taking pics of it and I will put it on here. But what i did was run the wires up the two drains plugs on that side and JB water welded it so its still a water tight Box.
Where did you guys put yours?
another place was up above where the radiator bottle is but i didnt like drillin into any metal or anything!

And I just waterproofed all the contacts on the atv last night!

·
Registered
101 Posts
There is a spot for it right at the front of the frame behind a metal plate (to the left if facing the front of the ATV). It is already tapped and mounts with two screws. It is behind the plastic cover and metal plate and is well protected.

That is where I mounted mine.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I don't have the 570, but I mounted my contactor in the front box also, using the drain holes just as you did. Like you said, it's safe there and very well protected from the elements. I also have my battery tender hooked up to the pos and neg of the contactor. Charges perfectly

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have the 570, but I mounted my contactor in the front box also, using the drain holes just as you did. Like you said, it's safe there and very well protected from the elements. I also have my battery tender hooked up to the pos and neg of the contactor. Charges perfectly
I like the placement of the new box inside the front cargo area.
and as vandal said, you can hook your battery tender right up there, instead of trying to dick around with the battery itself.

but thanks for telling me where to really hook it up, i dont think i would of went and put it there anyways seeing where i have it now.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
There is a spot for it right at the front of the frame behind a metal plate (to the left if facing the front of the ATV). It is already tapped and mounts with two screws. It is behind the plastic cover and metal plate and is well protected.

That is where I mounted mine.
Could you please post a picture of the location.

Thor

·
Registered
101 Posts
Could you please post a picture of the location.

Thor
Sure. I will try to grab a picture of it later today.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Ive got one on a 2003 500HO setting right beside the rear tire....very exposed to the elements, never an issue yet! Trust me if the contactor is that element sensitive mine would have quit long ago. The machine has over 2200 miles on it...all trails/mud/plowing snow, no blacktop riding and no heated garage waxing

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here is where I mounted mine. Hard to see the bracket, but the crossmember in front of the radiator was pre-tapped. The bracket and screws that came with my Warn winch fit perfectly.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Thank you for taking the time to show us! Was the 570 prewired for the winch? Does it also have the extra hot wires like the Sportsman & XP that works with the key on?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The 570 does have the accessory connectors like the other Polaris ATVs, but it was not pre-wired for the winch like some of other bikes. I am guessing this is because the battery is now up front.

The only issue was that the wiring that came with the Warn seems to be designed for a bike that has the battery in the back, so the wires that run from the contactor to the winch are extremely long. I ended up shortening mine and crimping on some new ring terminals. The install is much cleaner now. I doubt I will bother shortening the wires that run to the switch since they bundled up nicely.

·
Premium Member
3,843 Posts
Thank you again for taking the time to answer. Great knowledge for many down the road who will be mounting winches to the 570.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you connect the box to the 2 studs below the fuse block? Since it goose straight to the battery?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can you connect the box to the 2 studs below the fuse block? Since it goose straight to the battery?

Yes you can.....that's what the Polaris techs told me to do. My Polaris branded winch had very short cables that didnt reach the battery so I called Polaris customer service to question this and they informed me that they put a "terminal block" on the newer ATV models to make running accessories easier.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cool, my winch has 7 ft of cable, now to figure out what to do with the left over 5 feet Lol

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
For some reason I went through a few contactors when I mounted it to the front frame behind the grill on my 2011 SP 500. I mounted mine in the box on my 13 SP 500 and have had zero issues. I'm sure a lot has to do with riding conditions.

Attachments

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
For some reason I went through a few contactors when I mounted it to the front frame behind the grill on my 2011 SP 500. I mounted mine in the box on my 13 SP 500 and have had zero issues. I'm sure a lot has to do with riding conditions.
Anotonio, I put my box in the same exact spot, except i ran my wire up through the drain plugs on the bottom, did you seal yours up with silicone or something? if not it defeats the dry storage part of the cargo box.
I sealed mine up with JB WATER WELD. Stuff works really good. Dries up lke a rock. you can sand the stuff down and prime/ paint it also.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Anotonio, I put my box in the same exact spot, except i ran my wire up through the drain plugs on the bottom, did you seal yours up with silicone or something? if not it defeats the dry storage part of the cargo box.
I sealed mine up with JB WATER WELD. Stuff works really good. Dries up lke a rock. you can sand the stuff down and prime/ paint it also.
I also put mine in the same spot after reading this thread. I ran the wiring through the drain plugs, two wires through each drain plug. I took and I silicone caulked the holes, wasn't the neatest way of doing things - but it should work. Something I've noticed though, is that the lid doesn't seem to close tightly. I don't know if I should take it in and see if they'll figure it out/fix it, but it seems like there's a huge gap around the gasket seal near the handle bars.

Overall, the winch was very easy to install. I bought the $45 mount for the 550 model, and the badlands winch from Harbor freight (was $120 but I used a 25% off coupon for it to cost $90). It took me about 3 hours or so to install everything including the wiring and switch. I ended up having to go purchase two more M6x16 1.00 pitch bolts for the battery because the stock bolts weren't long enough. Zip tied the extra cabling in a spool fashion inside of the box as well. I feel like I lost a little bit of "luggage" space, but it was easier to hide it all in the nooks and crannies of the box so I can use the large portion of the box still. I could take pictures if anybody would like.

I also used a razor knife to cut out the section of the front grill/plastics for where the winch goes through. It actually worked great, and I don't think I could have done it better any other way. Another "issue" that I had here was the long end of the winch, where the wire mounts, is pressing on the plastic after I reattached it. Very subtle amount, probably not noticeable unless you put it on yourself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like my box seals all the way. A way o telling would be to see if there is a compression line on the top of your seal from the rack contacting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
I also put mine in the same spot after reading this thread. I ran the wiring through the drain plugs, two wires through each drain plug. I took and I silicone caulked the holes, wasn't the neatest way of doing things - but it should work. Something I've noticed though, is that the lid doesn't seem to close tightly. I don't know if I should take it in and see if they'll figure it out/fix it, but it seems like there's a huge gap around the gasket seal near the handle bars.

Overall, the winch was very easy to install. I bought the $45 mount for the 550 model, and the badlands winch from Harbor freight (was $120 but I used a 25% off coupon for it to cost $90). It took me about 3 hours or so to install everything including the wiring and switch. I ended up having to go purchase two more M6x16 1.00 pitch bolts for the battery because the stock bolts weren't long enough. Zip tied the extra cabling in a spool fashion inside of the box as well. I feel like I lost a little bit of "luggage" space, but it was easier to hide it all in the nooks and crannies of the box so I can use the large portion of the box still. I could take pictures if anybody would like.

I also used a razor knife to cut out the section of the front grill/plastics for where the winch goes through. It actually worked great, and I don't think I could have done it better any other way. Another "issue" that I had here was the long end of the winch, where the wire mounts, is pressing on the plastic after I reattached it. Very subtle amount, probably not noticeable unless you put it on yourself.
I also have a 13 500 HO and put my contactor in the storage box also, using the drain holes just like you did. I posted this somewhere, but you can hard wire your battery tender to the positive and negative cables of the contactor, so no more junk hooking to the battery

·
Registered
140 Posts
Looks like my box seals all the way. A way o telling would be to see if there is a compression line on the top of your seal from the rack contacting it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine definitely doesn't have any sort of impression from the lid. It only has it on 3 sides... How could I fix this if the dealership won't?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts