Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Polaris sportsman 450 HO that I purchased brand new from the dealer in January 2020 , after searching winches and talking to people in the atv world I decided to purchase a warn winch the price was good compared to other winches, I priced a winch kit from Polaris and found it to be quite expensive, prior to buying a winch I did know that these atvs are pre wired for plug and play with Polaris winch kits, I still decided to buy the warn winch, I’ve installed it on the atv, now for the wiring and solenoid , after reading the instructions and watching a few videos on the inter web and you tube it seems to be a fair bit confusing to do the wiring for this winch, I contacted Polaris manufacturing directly to see if I could purchase the male and female connectors they use for the plug and play system so I could use the wiring provided with my winch kit and install it with the pre wired connections on the atv, surprisingly they wouldn’t sell me them, I can purchase the switch and solenoid from the dealership for like 260$ again quite expensive I’m wondering if anyone knows if this is possible to do or did I screw up and should I have just spent the money on the Polaris winch kit from the beginning if anyone had any information or could direct me somewhere I could possibly get these connectors so I can continue and use the plug and play wiring provided on the atv or if I basically have to wire it with the stuff provided with that warn kit I purchased, I appreciate any and all feedback tips, or anything from anyone here thanks for reading my post. Ride safe!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just my 2 cents....but I would return the Warn and go with the Polaris and use the plug and play included with the machine...no mix and match...I'm prone to simple and easy....('15 SP 570, '18 Sportsman 1K , '19 General...all Polaris winches...0 problems!)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't know what plugs Polaris uses, but winches are stupid simple. Motor drives gears for cable spool in, motor drives gears for cable spool out, and you just change the direction the motor turns in. The contactor (solenoid for us old timers, even though they don't use them anymore) is where the thumb switch controls the direction in/out.

Where people get tripped up is the switch to contactor wiring. You have basically a three position switch: ON/OFF/ON, where one ON is out, and the other is IN, so you usually have three wires, one ground, two "accessory" power leads. Install the contactor wiring as Warn lays out in their manual, then figure out where the switch wires are in the factory Polaris wiring. A meter will tell you which wires are which. Then put those in the appropriate place on the contactor (if Polaris actually uses a plug, you may have to cut and add some ring terminals). If you mess up, you can test it, either the winch works backwards, out is in and in is out, or it only works in one direction and nothing in the other.

Post up some pictures of the plug, Polaris doesn't make their own, good chance its a Molex, Deutsch Tech or Weatherpac style you can buy off Amazon.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
so im in the same boat. im a warn winch guy and was on the fence with just going Polaris for the plug n play. I also looked into just popping for the switch and contactor. but like you realized its crazy expensive. really though all you have to do is pick up accessory power to feed the switch and then wire the contactor and motor per warns instructions. if im not mistaken there should be orange wires under the hood below the pod that will feed your switch. those orange wires (you only need one) are keyed power. essentially only have power when the key is in the "ON" position.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Buy Polaris winch switch extender.
Cut this and splice one end to contactor and plug other end to existing wiring. I would splurge for OEM Polaris Winch Switch, about $80.00, no other switch fits and looks as nice. On the other hand if you don’t plow just buy a remote, that’s all you need to control winch.
4285AAB4-A367-4A80-AF26-BE6D6E00B036.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
hmmmmmmmmm sportsman I like that option!!!!! but im thinking if I pop on the switch I might as well pop on the contactor because my contactor for the 800s Warn 3.0 RT is shot. so might as well spend the couple extra sheakles and do it seamlessly. decisions decisions, well with that government cheese coming im going to be a money SPENDA, haha.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Couldn’t you just buy a KFI contactor? Has to be cheaper than a Warn! Then mount it directly to Winch bracket. I did this to a Superwinch LT3000, but bracket would be identical right?
9B7EE485-CF24-4AF6-9096-91D14F1CA512.jpeg
B1605300-D609-4327-A294-568ABD747808.jpeg
9B7EE485-CF24-4AF6-9096-91D14F1CA512.jpeg

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
My thoughts are I have the Warn contactor that came with the winch. I use that to replace the one that went bad on the 800. Then I'll buy the Polaris contactor and switch. But there's another problem the Polaris contactor mounts to the winch mount like the KFI in the picture. So now I'm thinking I need that wire harness extension you have pictures Sprotsman. Haha always something!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
You won’t need Winch extension harness if you buy Polaris contactor. Harness on that should already reach harness for winch switch. I recently installed a Polaris Winch with contactor mounted to bracket and wiring from contactor was made to reach already.
4C0E9B37-0BA7-4DE7-82D4-71E8D076D96C.jpeg
C101FB5E-F66A-4A36-AE01-216DC3AF590F.jpeg

·
Registered
912 Posts
Scratch that bp, Polaris contactor is over $100. This KFI is made specifically for Polaris and plugs right into your existing harness. Much cheaper too and it’s the same thing.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
dude you are the MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

question for you now Sprotsman even though I don't have the Polaris winch and mount do you think I will be able to mount the kfi contactor to the Warn winch and mount. I know its tough to say just wondering your thoughts as you have the Polaris winch set up. thanks again man!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
912 Posts
bp I’m assuming this is for your 570 Touring right? If you are using KFI Winch Mount 101740, which is the correct part and will work with a Warn winch. I’d say yes, a perfect match. Look at picture and specifically in parts list #2&7. That is contactor mount which would obviously work with their contactor in previous post. This blows the monopoly on Polaris Winch being the only true Plug’n’Play. Your contactor will be mounted directly to bracket and plug directly into existing harness. Even Polaris winches you have to run +/- up to fuse block. Think your good bud! BTW-I don’t have a Polaris setup. I did install one for a friend. I have Superwinch LT3000/KFI winch bracket.
E3D09485-17EE-4D27-900E-7AACC895A625.jpeg

·
Registered
912 Posts
All this applies to you too FreddyNFLD80. Buy any winch you want, KFI contactor above and KFI winch bracket 101740 and you’ll save a bundle.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Hey I was just checking things out today. Tore the front plastics off. So the Warn winch came as a kit to work for our Sporty 570-T. So the mount is a Warn and it's like an "L" shaped mount.

Sprotsman I'm going to go in for that KFI mount and contactor. It just makes for a clean install. Oh and the Polaris Switch need to buy that also.

·
Registered
912 Posts
You consider just using a remote? I do have Polaris switch but also installed a cheap remote and honestly it works fine. At least KFI contactor works for you.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Depending on the kit you get, you might end up with both. Milemarker ships their Project es PE3500s with both a remote and a switch. The contactor has a waterproof connector with a captured cap that lets switch between the two, remote or bar switch. I have another Milemarker winch I'll be using that remote for, though, since the old EP9000 winch remotes are f8cking awful.

·
Premium Member
8,100 Posts
Never really thought of the remote. There has only been maybe a few times it would have been nice. I don't use the winch much. Hell if I use it a handful of times a year that would be about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts