Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a fair warning for everyone!! I recently replaced my air temp sensor harness and figured I would check my fluids while I was at it. I noticed the rear of my transmission just above the rear prop shaft was stained and moist with oil. After further inspection I noticed that the roll pin actually started to come out of the prop shaft and was "machining" away at the transmission housing a lot like a lathe. It actually cut through the casing to the point of breaching the housing and causing oil to leak. I will be taking all the plastic off in the next of weeks to repair this and I will take some pictures and post them on here. Everyone might want to check their roll pins so you aren't in the same boat as me!!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Which model, year?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yea i have heard of this happening often on the 500/800's.

·
Premium Member
7,675 Posts
x2 pictures. i have an 800 and i'm putting it down for repairs this week and going to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just wondering if this is something I need to looking for with my 2013 500?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
This is a very common problem. The rear prop shaft roll pin on the 500/800 models are known to work their way out and then cut a hole in the transmission. A $0.25 grade 8 bolt, nut, and loctite will fix this issue and save you a $1200 transmission. This is one of the first upgrades I did to my 800.

·
Registered
318 Posts
What size grade 8 bolt do I need? I know I could go measure, just taking the lazy way out!! Ha ha!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I believe they are 8mm or 5/16. Not sure about the length though. I just pulled the pins out and then took one to the hardware store to match it up.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
Could you guys post pics of the case damage and the repair? Will be doing my spring maintenance soon.

Thanks for the warning.

·
9,419 Posts
It won't affect yours william, it only happens on the twins with a separate transmission and rear prop shaft. The machines with the transmission and rear gearcase all together don't have a rear prop shaft and therefore no pin to come out and do damage. However, it could potentially happen that the roll pin could come loose on your FRONT prop shaft (or on older models) the inner axle u joint yokes and cause damage. Again, the twins with a rear prop shaft are the ones subject to this problem. The pin works out of the yoke and will rub ahole in the transmission case.
I always replace them with grade 8 bolts like LC suggested if I'm already in there doing something anyway.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts
It won't affect yours william, it only happens on the twins with a separate transmission and rear prop shaft. The machines with the transmission and rear gearcase all together don't have a rear prop shaft and therefore no pin to come out and do damage. However, it could potentially happen that the roll pin could come loose on your FRONT prop shaft (or on older models) the inner axle u joint yokes and cause damage. Again, the twins with a rear prop shaft are the ones subject to this problem. The pin works out of the yoke and will rub ahole in the transmission case.
I always replace them with grade 8 bolts like LC suggested if I'm already in there doing something anyway.
Thanks. Should I replace the roll pin on the shsft running to my front diff, the rear pin?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The front roll pin usually doesn't cause any issues when it backs out, but it doesn't hurt to replace it with the bolt.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts