Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer is really good but, I'm questioning one of their techs now. I asked them about putting on a muffler and a clutch kit to weak up the lower end a little bit and their (head tech) says it will void my warranty if I modify anything on the machine. Now I work in a ford dealer and have went rounds with customers on this very subject. What we explain is if the failed part can be linked to the aftermarket part then ford will deny the claim but there is no such thing as a company voiding a warranty all together is there? Just wondering how some of the other dealers are treating you guys with mild mods to your bike. Mine is a 2013 850xp which only has 300 miles on it but needs a lot more bottom and mid range to make me smile.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Unfortunately they will unless its installed by the dealer. When I take my wheelers in for warranty work I return them back to stock. A real PIA but haven't had anything denied by the warranty or ext. warranty so far!!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
By federal law (Magnuson-Moss) they can not void your warranty unless the part that you installed can be proven to be the cause of the failure.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Polaris warranty dept. can be difficult to work with. Unless you purchased an extend warranty with your 850 just do it and enjoy.:cowboy:

·
Registered
572 Posts
Polaris warranty is about a useful as a hemorrhoid. Nothing but a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Polaris warranty is about a useful as a hemorrhoid. Nothing but a pain in the ass.
Another fan of Polaris Warranty Dept.

POLARIS ARE YOU GETTING THE MESSAGE:kabong:

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Really surprised to see so many problems. We never had a problem with them approving warranty. Even things that were questionable usually were pushed through.

It's interesting how that's not the experience of most here. I still stand by that a huge role is the dealer. There is no money to be made in warranty work, most the time the dealer actually loses money on the deal themselves. So there isn't an inventive to want to do warranty. That is Polaris fault

Sent from iPhone via Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Really surprised to see so many problems. We never had a problem with them approving warranty. Even things that were questionable usually were pushed through.

It's interesting how that's not the experience of most here. I still stand by that a huge role is the dealer. There is no money to be made in warranty work, most the time the dealer actually loses money on the deal themselves. So there isn't an inventive to want to do warranty. That is Polaris fault

It is interesting that you say” We push questionable issues through.” I do believe you have made a point that Polaris has not supported in dealer network in an effective manner when comes to warranty issues. In doing this they have compromised dealer support to the consumer. As you stated dealers do not have an incentive to do Warranty work.

But I will not steal this thread on this issue my advice is add the parts and enjoy the machine you only live once.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can see both sides of the story but for them to tell me that they will not touch my machine for any warranty repairs if I have anything aftermarket on it is a joke!!
I'm wishing I would have stayed with can am more and more. I have a muffler and a air filter in my outlander and they even sold them to me and never once even tried to tell me something wouldn't be covered. Really kicking myself for spending the extra money on the extended warranty after hearing all the horror stories of stuff not being covered. Can a guy back out of the extended warranty?

·
Registered
572 Posts
Only issue I had was, bike was brand new and 100% stock. They weren't going to warranty a clicking axle i had. Hardly any miles on bike.

Called it "rider abuse"

That was my last visit to the dealer. I know it wasn't the dealers fault.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Can-am really IMO you now have the best machine on the market.Add the parts and enjoy it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can-am really IMO you now have the best machine on the market.Add the parts and enjoy it.
You must be one of those brand loyal customers with blinders on!! LOL
Yes Can Am is what I said never had one issue with warranty with them and go over to the canam forum and tell me how many issues with warranties not being covered they have? None the less this will probably be the last popo I own if they screw me on warranty.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yep, you nailed it LOL. enjoy your 850xp when it gets cold you might upgrade to an RMK:veryhappy:LOL

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yep, you nailed it LOL. enjoy your 850xp when it gets cold you might upgrade to an RMK:veryhappy:LOL
LOL you might want to run by the hardware store before winter and buy some more glue to hold your RMK togather for the winter!!

·
Registered
6,903 Posts

It is interesting that you say” We push questionable issues through.” I do believe you have made a point that Polaris has not supported in dealer network in an effective manner when comes to warranty issues. In doing this they have compromised dealer support to the consumer. As you stated dealers do not have an incentive to do Warranty work.

But I will not steal this thread on this issue my advice is add the parts and enjoy the machine you only live once.
Warranties are a pain in the ass, no doubt. If a warranty report wasn't concise and complete before we submitted, instant rejection. They want to know you know what is wrong and what will fix it.

I don't necessary blame them for looking at every claim closely, I can only imagine how many they get a day, but the time they allot to fix it is stupid.

As a consumer, you pay per hour what the dealer tells you. As Polaris, they tell the dealer how many hours they will pay, the rest is on the dealer to finish the job.

Aftermarket parts never where a problem with us. Since warranty deals with OEM part failures. However, if its quite evident that aftermarket parts could have caused the stress, than that has to be looked at closely. Did the aftermarket exhaust cause the valve to burn up? Did the oversized tires cause the a arm failure.

When I said pushed through, mostly referring to them warranting things outside of the warranty period, or things like mentioned above, where a connection could be made between failure and user modification.

Feel out your individual dealer. It's not one size fits all, your mileage will vary.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
I haven't had to deal with warranty stuff with either of my machines. Maybe i just baby the. Too much?

But why should warranty cover parts that break, due to aftermarket parts added. For example, your 30" zillas wrecked your axle, so why should they cover your a le when it was designed for much lighter 25" tires.

So by adding 30" tires , i would say they have an easy out of most driveline warranty repairs. Axles , diffs, trans, all have added stress from those tires.

Its something you should think about before buying upgrades.

Personally i would rather fix stuff myself, and wi never use my pitiful 6 month warranty, so i added a clutch kit and bigger tires.

To the op: just change out the clutch kit. Unless you have warranty issues with the clutches themselves, they probably wont even notice you have one.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yea I talked to the manager at my dealer today and explained what I was up too LOL. He was more then happy to tell me just do the clutch kit and muffler and we will take good care of you!! That's just what I wanted to hear. So just got off the phone with Ryan and ordered a clutch kit. Now where is the best place to order a speedwerx hot seat muffler?

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Yea I talked to the manager at my dealer today and explained what I was up too LOL. He was more then happy to tell me just do the clutch kit and muffler and we will take good care of you!! That's just what I wanted to hear. So just got off the phone with Ryan and ordered a clutch kit. Now where is the best place to order a speedwerx hot seat muffler?
Sounds like you have a good dealer. Did you check to see if that good dealer is a speedwerx dealer? :veryhappy:

Maybe they can hook you up.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I asked but they do not sell them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts