Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 2013 polaris 400 ho . where is the snorkel for the tranny? looks flat and going up on the tank? i was half my stock tire in water and was goiing fast and got water in my belt and drained it out. dont know if it splashed up. ?? or a leak somewhere? i have gone in a river very slow and over the tire for a view mins and never got it in there so i was thnking it is splash. i can see two snorkels under the tank plastic but cant figure out where the other goes . i have gasket sealed my air box. im new to popo and the forum,. any info about the popo. i have had a 660 grizz and was all snorkedl and had everything you can think of but dont plan on doing it to the popo. just riding. a little mud.thanks everyone

·
Registered
526 Posts
Do you have a copy of the Polaris shop manual yet. Being new to Polaris and that big black thing on the left being totally new to me I find that book helps and Google can lead me to places like this. I think the 400 HO makes for one nice machine that will go do what the rest can do with out being like an over sized SUV. Never been to a Polaris dealership the until the last week or two. Drove up and though I was looking at a four seat Jeep or something in it was a Polaris. :)

·
Premium Member
20,001 Posts
Welcome to the board!

·
Registered
505 Posts
The vent tube for the belt runs right up along side your airbox vent. I destroyed my belt one time and when I took off the belt cover I noticed a small crack where the vent outlet is. I just siliconed it up and all is good now. I always remove the drain plug when I get home if I have played in the water.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
526 Posts
We are finding Polaris to be simple machines for the most part and built quite tough. Major physical limitations make the Polaris drive so appealing. :)

Rebuilding the two 325's over the holidays was a learning experience for the 16 year old son and myself. Of course being a single cylinder makes them more simple too.

·
Registered
505 Posts
The vent tube for the belt runs right up along side your airbox vent.

Take your seat off. There will be your air box with a black vent/snorkel. Beside it is the vent/snorkel for your clutch housing.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
clear vent line? noone knows where the snorkel goes??
The tranny has a vent line not a snorkel. You should be able to see where the snorkels go....just follow them back. One to the airbox, the other to the clutch cover.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You should have three snorkels right there at your fuel tank. One is for the air intake, one for belt intake, and one for belt exhaust. If you were only halfway up the tires, or to the floorboards, then you most likely just splashed water into one of the two belt snorkels. If you were deeper than that, to where the belt box is in water, I would say to check your outer belt box cover seal to make sure it is installed properly and not cracked or broken. Another common issue with these belt boxes is the inner housing leaking. The only way to fix this is to remove the clutches, inner cover, and seal behind it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you for the info ^ . so the exhaust for the tranny is flat on the side of the tank and goes up or around the tank. cant find pics on the internet or anything. i think it just splashed but dont see how if its up on the tank unless its infont of the handle bars and not behind them, near the gas cap. i have heard issues with the drive belt cover leaking.i dont think that is my prob. i was over tire deep once for a view mins and never had a prob. do you know if the carb drane line has a valve that does not let water in? i saw a valve and i think that is what it is. these polaris are snorkel nice. i had a 05 660 grizz and i hated the setup. so i snorkeled it and spent to much money and sold it. kept braking seals and axels. i dont plan on going real deep unless i have to or i want to. still getting use to how these things ride and work. they are heavy as can be. are there any probs i need to know or mods to keep water out anywhere. i moved a vent line that was at the frame up near the tank and sealed the air box. the seal from factory is worthless.. i plan on getting my dads 589 itp tires. they are stock size. later when they worn out ill get 27s. do you need a clutch kit to run 27s. and do i need spacers . im not going to go bigger than 27. prob a 27 swamplite . i have had the 29.5 swamplites before and loved them. if i could run 29.5 lites on my polaris stock would be sweet. thanks again man .

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
correct. the flatter one is the belt exhaust. No other areas to be concerned of leaking besides the two common things, which are the airbox lid and the inner clutch cover. Not sure about the carb vent, I have only worked on EFI. You normally need spacers for any tire over 8" wide, but you might get away with just a tie rod end flip. Swamp lites are light, so you can get away without a clutch kit, but I always recommend one, as they will improve your performance and belt life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts