Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding my 700 EFI sportsman it will run fine and then start missing and sometimes quit. I turn the ignition off and wait for a few seconds and it starts right up and the way I go then it will repeat the problem. Where can I disconnect the fuel line to remove all the water and fuel or can I put a fuel additive in the tank and cure the problem? Thanks!

·
9,461 Posts
Don't sound like water to me. To drain the tank take it off and hold up side down. Your fuel lines come out the top on a EFI machine... Not the bottom.

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
Alcohol will absorb water - fill the tank with alcohol to get rid of the water, problem is you will have to take the tank off to get the alcohol out - I guess it's best not to put water in the tank? Since alcohol absorbs water guess what the easiest way to get water in the fuel tanks is? Use ethanol blended fuel! The ethanol will absorb moisture out of the atmosphere and at .4% concentration, the alcohol will separate from the gasoline and collect on the bottom of the fuel tank.

Alcohol blended fuel is blended at a 10% concentration - adding HEET will not help - a 12 ounce bottle of HEET is 12 ounces of alcohol intended to treat 20 gallons of gasoline - adding 12 ounces of alcohol to 20 gallons of gasoline results in a .0047% increase of alcohol content so what effect do you think increasing the blend of alcohol from 10% to 10.0047% is going to have in removing water from a fuel system? But in all fairness, HEET is not ethanol alcohol - it is methanol alcohol. Methanol is the simplest alcohol, consisting of a methyl group linked to a hydroxyl group. It is a light, volatile, colorless, flammable liquid with a distinctive odor similar to that of ethanol (drinking alcohol). Methanol is however far more toxic than ethanol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had the same issue with my '04 700 while on a hunting trip. Couldn't get it started after idling for quite a few minutes. Ended up pulling the front cover and disconnecting the fuel line there to drain tank, filled tank with a gallon at a time until fuel was clean. flushed the schrader valve until clean gas and pulled plugs. I use seafoam regularly but was surprised how milky the gas was. Any luck with your situation?

·
9,461 Posts
Had the same issue with my '04 700 while on a hunting trip. Couldn't get it started after idling for quite a few minutes. Ended up pulling the front cover and disconnecting the fuel line there to drain tank, filled tank with a gallon at a time until fuel was clean. flushed the schrader valve until clean gas and pulled plugs. I use seafoam regularly but was surprised how milky the gas was. Any luck with your situation?
Hmm, not a bad idea Jwp. That would probably work pretty well to flush without having to pulling the tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts