Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
04 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Is this a common problem? What should I look for? Could this be a head gasket failure?

Sent from my HTC first using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Head gasket or water pump seal would be my first guess. Any oil in the coolant? Did you recently dunk your ride?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Water has never been over engine . oil is not visible in coolent. Tks for input .

·
Registered
130 Posts
04 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Is this a common problem? What should I look for? Could this be a head gasket failure?

Just curious as to how you determined that you have water in your oil. Was it discovered during an oil chance or when you were checking the oil level? A little water accumulation ( a few drops from condensation) around the fill cap is not uncommon but water actually mixed into your oil is typically an indication of a gasket leak. Its possible that rain water could enter the crankcase via the fill cap IF it does not properly seal and you store the 500 outdoors in the elements. I'd also take a look at your coolant; the presence of oil or carbon deposits would confirm gasket issues. Is your coolant low?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes coolant is down to the add mark. I changed the oil back in Dec. And topped coolant off ,may have put 20 miles on it. Noticed a oil smell and ck. Oil level ! Overfull, pulled oil out with a shringe , about 4 ounces total and water settled in bottom of bottle. I keep wheeler in a trailer that stays dry and locked.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Yup, headgasket, or water pump seal.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
was it water or coolant.....drain first bit of oil in a mason jar..let it settle out..see if water or coolant

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to pull more out tomorrow and let yu know. It looked like water. Tks guys.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not an expert on the water pump's design but I believe that in order for water to enter the engine at the pump, both the pump gasket as well as the engine oil seal would both have to be bad. Possible, but unlikely in my opinion. I also believe there is a "weep" hole between the pump and oil seal, designed to indicate a pump gasket failure and to keep water from seeping past the oil seal. At this point I would lean towards a head gasket failure. If it were mine, I would (1.) drain, flush and refill the oil (replace filter) and mark coolant level, (2.) start the engine and check for leaks around your water pump. (3.) inspect exhaust color & smell the exhaust (coolant smells sweet if present & normally produces white smoke). (4.) secure the engine and draw an oil sample and inspect (allow time for the oil/water to separate.) *if water is present it's likely a head gasket. (5.) if water is not visible in your oil, take the 500 out for a short ride (2-3 miles), then repeat step (4.) and check coolant level. Good Luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
This issue can drive a person nuts. Head gaskets can blow, and can cause different symptoms. water in oil, coolant out the exhaust, in rare cases I've seen where it can over fill the coolant reservoir. Or a whirlpool effect in coolant res from the compression of the motor. As much as I hate to say it, need to check/replace the HG asap, water in the oil can be hard on bottom end bearings!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Problem is the water seal I think. Haven't drained anti freeze yet but holding tank and when I took off radiator cap looks like no oil is in antifreeze. Head looks clean other than normal dirt . Any input is appreciated.The oil does have water in it after I drained it. About two ounces settled to bottom of jar.. uploadfromtaptalk1390784214938.jpg

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts