Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys...i just joined the forums a few days ago, my first post

my son has a 2000 magnum 325 4x4
2 weeks ago, he and his friend drove it in a stream way to deep and got water in the pullstart (at point of where the rope goes in)

they were able to restart it and drive it back to the trailer.

ive been busy working, so i havent had time to look at it till today.

i pulled the pullstart cover and about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of water came out.
the front of the starter is gummed up from moisture so im gonna change that

but theres a part behind the flywheel, not sure what its called.
what is its function, im guessing something to do with spark, but i never worked on a quad before.(everything else, but not a quad)

the parts seem cheap enough, so im thinki9ng if they got wet and didnt fail, they will soon enough, so im just going to replace them.

also....is the flywheel bolt a reverse thread?

thanks in advance fellas....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the quad isnt running now.
the starter wont engage the flywheel.

thats how i found the water inside the pullstart cover.

is there a way to test the stator?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Did a quick search and found this on YouTube:

My Cousin had the same problem with his late model 04 400 Sportsman. He cleaned up the rust and gunk and ended up replacing the gear set that gets thrust out and engages the flywheel when the solenoid gets power. Ended up putting a new solenoid on too. Don't know if it was related. He had a bit of trouble with intermittent power loss, but, he said his mechanic eliminated the stator as an issue. He put an extra dab of rtv inside the cup on the handle on the pull start to ensure a tight fit. The boys need to remember to make sure it is secure or, it will happen again. You could probably achieve the same thing by either replacing the rubber handle, or, putting a wire tie around it to make it a tighter fit to the housing where the rope comes out. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
495 Posts
This is a link to an exploded view of the gearset (bendix?). It seems a bit pricey on this website, but, with minimal hand tools, you may be able to take it apart, or, even soak it in penetrating oil and free it up. Is the starter getting power? Is it trying to engage but the gear is not moving out to connect with the flywheel? I guess I should have asked those questions first, hahah. This is for the 400 by the way.

2004 Polaris A04CH42AQ SPORTSMAN 400 (A04CH42AQ/AR/AS/AT/AV) Starting Motor | Cheap Cycle Parts

This one is specific to the 2000 Magnum 325. Looks pretty similar. That gear needs to slide freely on that shaft to engage the flywheel, and, the spring should fully disengage it when the key/start button is released.

http://cheapcycleparts.com/oemparts/a/pol/5034f351f870022b94ea3931/starting-motor-a00cd32fb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you guys are great....

since i last sat down at the laptop....

i pulled the plug and hooked up my 20v dewalt drill and spun the motor to check for spark,

its got spark, it should have fuel, but im not able to spin the motor with the plug in,(compression) wont let the motor spin too easy and dont want to burn up my drill

the starter motor turns over, the bendix wont engage, its all gummed up
its 14 years old and original, i dont mind spending 60 bucks on a new bendix,
theres a drain plug on the bottom of the pullstart to drain the water (wish i knew earlier,lol)

·
Registered
495 Posts
the starter motor turns over, the bendix wont engage, its all gummed up
its 14 years old and original, i dont mind spending 60 bucks on a new bendix,
theres a drain plug on the bottom of the pullstart to drain the water (wish i knew earlier,lol)
Cool. Let us know when she fires up. I love sharing and I also love learning from other peoples experiences!

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Clean the magnet on the flywheel and the puls e coil with emery papaer while your in there, coil should be set .016 from magnet with feeler gauge, after you get it running, a little silicone on the rwecoil handle will seal it from water.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok heres an update.....

cleaned up the inside of the flywheel cause the crud/rust was built up
soaked the bendix in pb blaster for about 2 hours, broke it loose

reinstalled the bendix, put the cover on, fired it right up.

im still going to replace the bendix, sometimes it hangs when the motor starts , was less than 30 bucks shipped.

other than that, shes running great,

thanks guys

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ok heres an update.....

cleaned up the inside of the flywheel cause the crud/rust was built up
soaked the bendix in pb blaster for about 2 hours, broke it loose

reinstalled the bendix, put the cover on, fired it right up.

im still going to replace the bendix, sometimes it hangs when the motor starts , was less than 30 bucks shipped.

other than that, shes running great,

thanks guys
My recoil is dry after recently fording some water deeper than the housing. I checked...

I'd look over the pull handle fitment over the nipple. If it's not a tight fit you'll have water problems again. The housing has a paper gasket too.
I've seen many driving with the handle not pressed down over that nipple. My stepdad is guilty of this sin but his rig is used as a small farm tractor not driven in deep mud and water. If these boys are fording water over the steps they need to be sure that handle is in place. They need to pull the drains on the clutch and recoil housing after a water ride too just to be sure.

Be alert. The world needs more Lerts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts