Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! first post woot!
So here's what happened...
my fiance and i where riding our 2013 sportsman 400s around a lake and found a nice smooth muddy patch at the edge of the lake, and i decided we should tear it up and have some fun. After about an hour of playing in the mud we rode around the lake again. There were a few spots where the water came up in small cove like areas about 12"-30" deep or so. After taking a few passes back and forth across the deeper section (prob faster than i should have been going) my quad started loosing acceleration. Throttle worked fine but it felt like tranny didn't keep up with eng. (Also air filter housing had decent amount of water in it so i drained it.) After letting it sit for a few mins and trying to make sure no water in eng, then riding through the struggle to try and dry the internals out it started working fine (was getting late couldnt just sit there all night had to get back to the truck and head home). The question is... What do i need to do make sure it doesn't happen again besides putting on a snorkel for the air filter?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Start by putting dielectric grease in all your electrical connections, then stay out of the lake. This is kinda why we have places shutting down to atvs. Just sayin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill try the grease.
as far as not riding in the lake its accepted and encouraged there... it's a smaller "sub lake" to the big lake across the street. im sure they dont want us riding anywhere around the big lake except the few trails, but the small one is a free safe haven for riders around here (there is 1 cycle park that atvs can go to but barely fit the trails and side x sides arnt allowed.. the smaller lake is where all the sidexsides go to play) we are pretty conscientious about where we ride we dont want to step on anyone's toes.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Because oil won't Contaminate the big lake from the little lake it's connected to . That's like saying the Fetus won't get high if the mother is a crack head lol .not that I'm the green police but this Logic doesn't make sense to me

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No more of a concern than riding trails around the lake, or boats in the lake that run with oil in them, or people riding through creeks contaminating the lakes or rivers they run to.

The lakes aren't connected except by the 150 yards or so of land between them

·
Registered
54 Posts
Back to your question....yes, if you plan to play in deep water then snorkel it. It also sounds like you got water in your belt housing. Make sure you pull your drain plug after going through deep water to get water off the belt. Have fun!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts