Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 sportsman 500
Coolant dripping out bottom of water pump weep hole. As far as I can tell only coolant; no oil and no milky cream white oil.

Guesing probly just mechanical seal??? ($40 on ebay)
just came in today so I'm ready to put it in.

I have only 3 questions

-should I get any other parts or seals/gaskets etc lined up besides that mechanical seal?

-is this something I should NOT tackle on my own?...something about a special tool?? I"m very mechanically inclined and have pulled engines, wrenched on about everything I own. Any dos/dont's in regards to removal of old seal?

-I'm planning on accessing it by removing the foot guard and access from side.....I have a snow plow mount/skid plate underneath. Do I need to remove that for any reason?

thanks for any help.
dealer wants over $300 for the job and says the mechanical seal alone is $90

I'm not afraid to tackle.....as long as it's not something that I'll cause more damage.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Heres a thread with pics on the mechanical seal replacement:

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/for...006-sportsman-700-pics-inside.html#post179848

-should I get any other parts or seals/gaskets etc lined up besides that mechanical seal?

The service manual states to replace the water pump cover seal, about $10 from the dealer

-is this something I should NOT tackle on my own?...something about a special tool?? I"m very mechanically inclined and have pulled engines, wrenched on about everything I own. Any dos/dont's in regards to removal of old seal?

It is fairly simple repair, however, I have preferred to remove the side case cover behind the stator and drive the seal out of the case with a socket instead of using a puller as described in the repair thread, this entails replacing the case seals and oil and pulling the stator which you'll require a steering wheel puller tool or something similar. The repair thread describes the care that needs to be taken if you use a puller to remove the seal so that you dont damage components behind the seal.

-I'm planning on accessing it by removing the foot guard and access from side.....I have a snow plow mount/skid plate underneath. Do I need to remove that for any reason?

You'll be fine with just removing the footwell.
thanks for any help.

dealer wants over $300 for the job and says the mechanical seal alone is $90

I'm not afraid to tackle.....as long as it's not something that I'll cause more damage.

I've never paid the dealer to work on my quad ever, only ordered parts from them, I've had to pull my motor before and replace the crankshaft and split the rear final drive to replace output seals among other things before. I would suggest buying a good service/repair manual, you should be fine doing this repair yourself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts