Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I come back from a ride which included lot's of water my front storagebox is full of water and my back storage (Tamarack) is either also not exectly DRY or becomes wet when I wash the ATV. Is there anyway of making the boxes watertight? I'm tired of drying everything when I come back...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I noticed the drain plugs on my front box pop out during the ride. And the lid of my 2010 sportsman 500 lid does not seal like it did the first year. I was going to silicon the drain plugs and thought about a new seal for the lid. Maybe even out two seals in it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My plugs are good (when there is water is the box it doesn't drain unless I remove the plugs). It looks like most of the water enter thoguh the lid seal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it's never been changed so I guess it's from 2008.... but will changing to a new seal make it water tight?

·
11,265 Posts
LOL...You don't say what year and model machine you have but I doubt you'd ever be able to keep the front storage box dry for underwater use by any means short of gluing the entire thing closed. The most you could hope for is water resistance and that's all they are designed for. There are 3 large holes in the bottom of the box and the seal on the lid can't seal tight enough to keep water out when submerged. According to the year and model, you likely have about a 10" square panel that just snaps in place for access to the fuses and 2 plastic caps on top of the struts neither of which are sealed against water intrusion.

·
Registered
308 Posts
On my 12 xp I have the lock and ride boxes front and rear, everything that I put in those boxes goes in water proof bags, it was for the dust during summer riding because a small amount seems to get in no matter what I do. But I have found that it makes things very easy to clean at the end of the ride because I am just taking out the bags and then wiping out the boxes whether it be water or dust.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a 2008 Sportsman 800.... Thats very strange that polaris doesn't make them watertight..... what's the problem with it?

·
Registered
308 Posts
The plastic boxes from that time period after they have seen too much sun tend to warp and lose whatever seal that they have. You might try some single sided foam sticky tape they make it in different densities, that might help with the water some but it will help with the dust alot. As long as the lid is not too warped

·
Registered
69 Posts
the front storage box will not stay stay dry.. I gave up trying to make it water tight.. I just put stuff in the front that can get wet.. bungees, tow, etc.. The Polaris rear boxes are pretty good at keeping the dust and water out..

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, last weekend, returning from a snowy ride and having both front and rear boxes full of water, I decided to resolve the issue. Started with the rear box (Tamarack) by getting a rubber seal for windows/doors (http://s53.radikal.ru/i140/1005/1b/20d7dade054c.jpg) and glued it to the perimeter of the box. Next weekend will try it out. The front box is harder as there is no enough surface to glue this seal but I will try to find one a bit thiner and glue it onto of the existing original rubber seal...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Several months of usage and the boxes are GREAT! I can't say they are 100% watertight (if you submerge the front box completely for long time there will be some leaks) but for passing quickly in muddy, snowy and rainy conditions is much better now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts