Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine told me he sprays WD-40 on his radiator fins before he goes out riding. He swears by this and says the mud does not stick to his radiator. Anybody ever try this, do you just spray it on to the fins?? Please let me know.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'd hate to ride behind him... That must smell terrible...

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
It probably works well as the WD stands for Water Displacement so it keeps the water and mud from sticking. How about some Pam cooking spray maybe?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I would think it would work good it wet conditions. But trail dust would stick bad.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
He never learns!!!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
234 Posts
Anything you squirt in between the fins will hinder the heat transfer.

If you hit mud clean the rad when you get back to the truck. Get you a pump sprayer and use it. It isn't as good as a power sprayer but better than nothing.

Another thing to do is get "Coil Cleaner" from an commercial heating and air conditioning supplier. this stuff foams and pushes out the gook.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Be careful what you use for cleaner as some of them have acid in them that will actually eat a microscopic layer of material to brighten them and frequent repeated use may end up eating your radiator away.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Be careful what you use for cleaner as some of them have acid in them that will actually eat a microscopic layer of material to brighten them and frequent repeated use may end up eating your radiator away.
I have seen this happen! It's not a bad thing to do every once in a while, but I would not do it on a regular basis.

If you don't believe it...get some of the coil cleaner on your arm and feel it burn your skin for about an hour!

There may be some brands without acid, but any that I have used contains acid.

·
Registered
184 Posts
WD 40 is basically fish oil.

I have used PAM all over my ride, and it works OK, but nothing I would swear by.

A good washing after every trip is better then any other remedy.

·
Registered
6,824 Posts

I have used PAM all over my ride, and it works OK, but nothing I would swear by.

I agree, and would not spray my rad with it. It does contain oil, which will create hot spots on your rad.
A good rinse is the best way.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

·
Premium Member
10,361 Posts

I agree, and would not spray my rad with it. It dies contain oil, which will create hot spots on your rad.
A good rinse is the best way.

Thanks,

Will
2012 Sportsman 400HO.

Agreed!

·
Registered
852 Posts
for my bike "pedal" someone at the bike store told me not to use WD40 as it's a sticky lubricant and will collect dust, and grit and wear out the chain and sprockets "maybe that's why i kept mashing derailers..."

if this is a potential problem for a bikes chain wouldn't this eventually lead to a problem on an ATVs radiator?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
WD4O is actually a solvent. It makes things spin better and gives the illusion of lubrication because it gets out the dirt and the rust.

I would think that some sort of silicon would be a better choice to keep stuff from sticking.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
for my bike "pedal" someone at the bike store told me not to use WD40 as it's a sticky lubricant and will collect dust, and grit and wear out the chain and sprockets "maybe that's why i kept mashing derailers..."

if this is a potential problem for a bikes chain wouldn't this eventually lead to a problem on an ATVs radiator?
WD40 will eventually dry and leave a sticky varnish like residue behind.

·
Registered
294 Posts

WD40 will eventually dry and leave a sticky varnish like residue behind.
Yes it does... and repeated spraying will eventually clog up the passages between fins.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts