Polaris ATV Forum banner

Weak spark

38K views 29 replies 3 participants last post by  lateburd 
#1 ·
I picked up this 2000 sportsman 500 that had an overcharge issue. It pretty much smoked the electronics. The speedo is burnt up. I was getting a no spark issue. I changed the stator/pulse coil all in one. Changed the voltage regulator, coil, coil wire, coil wire end that plugs onto the spark plug. I was at that point only getting 1 spark on the initial bump of the starter switch. I unplugged the ground wire up next to the cdi box that goes up to the speedo and it fired right up. It ran like this for months. Shut if off one day and now it won't start. I have a very weak spark. If I jump 12 volts to the coil I get a bright heavy spark. If I just turn the key over its very dim and weak. Voltage to the white and blue wire from the cdi to the coil is only getting around 2 volts while cranking. Any idea what is causing the weak spark. This thing is about to make me pull my hair out.

#30 ·
OK - I think the later components were better designed. One thing about electronics; they can fail anytime - new or old there is never any warning - good one day and not the next - running fine and suddenly die - they just quit when they want to and hoe you treat it or care for it has no bearing on how long they last.

Enjoy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.