Polaris ATV Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
First - the red and red/blk wires being reversed would have no effect - those two wires supply AC from the charge coils to the CDI box - AC is AC - reversing the leads still supplies AC to the CDI box so no harm done.

Second - red to red/blk nominal resistance is 19 ohms not 1.9, so it's good - new pulse coil nominal resistance is 97 - resistance typically increases with age and the only to get the exact reading is to use the same meter that was used when the coil was tested for publication of the manual so 121 ohms is close enough.

Note: don't confuse the red/blk wire with the blk wire - blk wire is kill when grounded and red/blk to red is CDI charge coil.

Third - 3086984 is the part number that matches the CDI number you asked about.

I cannot advise you on which parts to get - I would need the vehicle and the parts to run more detailed tests before reaching any conclusions. I would test for peak voltage from the CDI charge coil, pulse generator coil, CDI output to coil and coil to spark plug and then determine which part to gamble on.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Set it on the highest DC volt scale and crank the engine - if the reading is point something, then click down a scale - when the reading exceeds the scale selected, go up to the next scale and read the voltage displayed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I'm a rookie when it comes to this electrical stuff so please bare with me. If I did everything correct this is what I got.

Stator peak voltage AC using the red/black and black wire reads 35 volts.

Pulse coil peak voltage AC measuring between the white and white red wires reads 43 volts.

CDI box peak voltage DC between the white/blue wire where it plugs into the coil and to ground reads 1.6 volts.

Coil wire voltage with positive side inside end of the plug wire and ground on the engine reads 54 volts.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
There is a problem - the voltage on the black/red to black wires should be 140 VDC

Pulse coil white to white/red should be 2.5 VDC minimum, so it's probably good

The blu/wht wire going to the coil should have 130 VDC minimum - low volts in = low volts out - at least pulse coil is triggering the CDI so the pulse coil and the CDI box are probably both good

If you don't have sufficient voltage to the coil the coil's output to the spark plug is irrelevant

You need a new stator or a new flywheel - either the windings are bad or the magnets are weak - go for the stator, magnets seldom go bad, but the other parts fail frequently

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Awesome, thank you for all the help. Seems like everything I've been ordering has been coming with the early year style plugs. I still have the new cdi box that I haven't sent back yet. I will order a stator with the same 3 prong plug and swap it all over. Do you happen have the part number for the stator I need to fit the cdi box below?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Tha k you latebird for all your help. I ordered a new stator and just installed it. Fired right up and seems to be running well. I will update if anything changes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I went with the late 2 wire plug stator. Caltric is the only brand I could find it in on Amazon. Hope it holds up! The other one was only a year old so I didn't expect it to be bad but it was.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
OK - I think the later components were better designed. One thing about electronics; they can fail anytime - new or old there is never any warning - good one day and not the next - running fine and suddenly die - they just quit when they want to and hoe you treat it or care for it has no bearing on how long they last.

Enjoy

21 - 30 of 30 Posts