Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tired of this weather, I have a new 550 touring with 3mi on it. I want to RIDE. Last year I put 1200mi on my Honda rubicon. And between me and my granddaughter we put 900mi on my sportsman 500.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
It will go away soon enough. though a couple sets of tracks would make them a year round toy with no worries about weather. If only tracks didn't cost so much!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
it is snowing here now....not going to be much..but its cold out..low teens down to 0 tonight...they are watching a big storm system heading our way for next week...if it merges it will be a good one for the North east...they are going to run out of names soon for these storms....lol....they need to save some for Hurricane season...

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Just think how much fun you will have riding in all the melted snow and the inevitable mud that comes with it. When the snow melts here in Mid August or what ever that is what I am going to do.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
i bought a bale of Alphalfa for the deer to eat cause they cant get to the ground with the ice....they ate in 1 night...lol....looks like they had a family reunion out back....now the turkeys are pissed at me wondering why nothing for them...now need to get corn an more deer food

·
Registered
978 Posts
woke up to -20 here in mn this morning. Its getting real old. We got lots of the snow crap to lol. If i cld afford tracks id buy some. Until then ill just plow and ice fish with the wheeler

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
seriously though, I think tracks on an ATV make it the perfect year round toy. serious mud traction. Snow capabilities and you never have to store it for a season. but they cost SO MUCH! I'll have them eventually, but right now I can't justify the cost to my overly frugal significant other. some day.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
seriously though, I think tracks on an ATV make it the perfect year round toy. serious mud traction. Snow capabilities and you never have to store it for a season. but they cost SO MUCH! I'll have them eventually, but right now I can't justify the cost to my overly frugal significant other. some day.
They are HELLA expensive. I looked into getting a set when I got my 500 and they cost more than what I paid for my wifes ATV !!!! They would be fun, maybe one day.....

I like my atv but my Polaris Indy 500 long track only cost me $700 lol. Plus tracks might take out the fun factor of "am I gonna make it thru that"

·
Registered
16 Posts
Silverrider,

You are not alone buddy! I picked up my new 550 touring the last week of January and it now has 5 miles on it. I was able to get it out ice fishing for 1 trip. Had plans for this weekend to fish with my son but all roads into our area are closed with snow squalls. Just south of here about 2 hours there was a 93 vehicle pile up in white out conditions.

My decision came down to this atv or a sled. My gut says that if I had bought the sled, it would sit in storage for the next few years with normal winters and not enough snow to use it ????

I wish those darn tracks were not so expensive! Will definitely have to look at them if next year is a repeat.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
yeah they are super spendy. you could get a decent used quad for the cost of new tracks. that and you need a machine that can push them. I'd think long and hard about upgrading to an 850 if my plan was to use tracks all the time. Maybe we'll see a 900 in the VL next year and I can go that route with tracks. that would be a go anywhere monster for sure.

I feel for you guys with all the snow. I couldn't imagine being snowed in. where I'm at we see maybe 4" of snow a year (not all at once) and every 10 years or so we get a foot or more. only had about 3" this year.

·
Registered
378 Posts
yeah they are super spendy. you could get a decent used quad for the cost of new tracks. that and you need a machine that can push them. I'd think long and hard about upgrading to an 850 if my plan was to use tracks all the time. Maybe we'll see a 900 in the VL next year and I can go that route with tracks. that would be a go anywhere monster for sure.

I feel for you guys with all the snow. I couldn't imagine being snowed in. where I'm at we see maybe 4" of snow a year (not all at once) and every 10 years or so we get a foot or more. only had about 3" this year.

It's the "cabin fever" that gets you. I feel the OP's pains too. So many here want to ride the wheelers and enjoy what the early spring has to offer. Wet, muddy and fun to get out and play........

·
Registered
2016 sportsman xp highlifter 1000
34 Posts

It's the "cabin fever" that gets you. I feel the OP's pains too. So many here want to ride the wheelers and enjoy what the early spring has to offer. Wet, muddy and fun to get out and play........
ya this year is crazy just too cold out to enjoy come on spring alot of bikes waiting to get dirty.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts

A 900 with tracks would be a beast no doubt. I know with tracks they have gear reduction built into them which helps smaller cc's get them turning with minimal effort.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
yeah, but the gear reduction also equates to lower speeds. so having more power to keep the speed up.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Agreed. Plus the "fun factor" of a big bore. Would be hella spendy for that setup though you could probably buy 7 or 8 hawkeyes to equal the price of a Tracked Big Bore LOL. 8 x 300cc = 2400cc's > 900cc ...... right ? :biglaugh:

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
LOL, to bad it doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
To the OP, enough is enough already. I love winter time but this is crazy -5 right now & going to drop to the -20s tonight. Apparently mother nature is ticked off. I'm ready to ride in normal temps. lol

·
Registered
978 Posts
as much as id love tracks....al i can say is screw em. For 3500 i can find a very kiss butt sled for that and it wld be way faster and alot more fun then a wheeler with tracks. Now with that said i still want tracks for mine for fishing and messing around...but winter fun on a machine needs to be on a sled, a wheeler even with tracks cant perform what a sled can

1 - 20 of 34 Posts