Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I was having some starter issues, would only click even with a boost, so i pulled the solenoid to bench test it, all checked ok. I re-installed solenoid, tried it once turned over excellent . I was happy.

Heres where the problem is though. I put everything back together. turned key on , lights came on , I turend key to start , it clicked and EVERYTHING is dead? No lights no dash nothing.

I was assuming I blew a fuse, I checked the 4 fuses up front and all are good. Is there another "master fuse" somewhere?

Then is why would it happen? Only thing I can think of is i mixed up wiring on solenoid? The plug is only able to go in one way, so that can't be it.

On the other terminals I have lead in from battery, attached with that is the other 2 wires ? On the other terminal is just the wire to the starter? Is that right???

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Yup you couldn't have messed up the solenoid wiring.

There is a fusible link that comes off the battery side of the solenoid that feeds (12v+) the ignition switch. That sounds blown.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I will see if I can locate that. Are these the links that " reset" themselves?

·
10,332 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK Thanks. I don't think that I shorted the lines, Does this connect right at the battery, looks like that ring would be the same size as the battery terminal

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
Battery side of the solenoid!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, took my multimeter out. I have continuity and voltage from the fusible link connection to the MAIN and to the SPEEDO fuses in the front. There is nothing to the EFI or ACCY fuses. No matter what the key position is.
Also I noticed there seem to be 2 fusible links attached to the solenoid?
Lastly, would it not be better to replace the fusible link with an in-line fuse? that way it could be changed? If so what size fuse 30A? 40A? since it is for everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, took my multimeter out. I have continuity and voltage from the fusible link connection to the MAIN and to the SPEEDO fuses in the front. There is nothing to the EFI or ACCY fuses. No matter what the key position is.
Also I noticed there seem to be 2 fusible links attached to the solenoid?
Lastly, would it not be better to replace the fusible link with an in-line fuse? that way it could be changed? If so what size fuse 30A? 40A? since it is for everything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having similar issues with my 2009, what did you come up with to replacing fuseable link?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK I went out today and checked the fusible links. IT IS NOT THEM. One of the links goes to the main and speedo fuses. The other fusible link leads to the control box behind the headlight. I have 12V to both of them.
At the ignition switch, I have 12V to the yellow wire, but NOTHING on any of the leads coming off the switch no matter where the key is
Harness shows:
White with red stripe
Red with white stripe
Red with black stripe
yellow +12V live
Black
Black

I am assuming the switch is gone, but the weird part is I took it apart and it looks like a very simple contact switch. I don't see what could go wrong?

Does anyone know how the power is suppose to be the switch harness? where is the power out with key "on"? When key is turned to "start"

Thanks

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you yooper265! Do you happen to have the rest of this circuit? This only shows that the Red Black (C) comes from the run switch. I would love to trace the rest and see where they all come from, especially A the white and red wire. This is great to see

·
Premium Member
9,326 Posts
The red with the wht tracer goes to the solenoid if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
With key on you should have power at C & D , and also at A & D .

You said you had power on the yellow wire but none of the others , sounds like you need a new switch .
With the key OFF should there only be power at D?
I am thinking my problem could be along C, should I not have power at the key with the "OFF RUN OFF" switch at run?
Does the power flo through the switch down A to the solenoid, or does it come the other way?
I think my issue has to be in one of those 2 wires more than in the key switch?

I have to have at least 2 wires that are HOT in order for any of the connections to become hot in the switch

D and C become connected inside as the key turns, they do not come into contact with any other circuit. Therefore, one of either A,B,E of F must also be "hot" to make connections. My guess is either A or C should be hot too?

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Yellow connects to red/blk with the key switch in the on position - red/blk goes to the LH switch where it connects to red/wht when the run/stop switch is in the run position - red/wht goes from the LH switch back to the key switch - red/wht connects to wht/red when the key switch is turned to the start position - wht/red goes to the starter solenoid

1 - 20 of 20 Posts