Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2004 50th annaveristy edition sportsman 700 ... it has a weird switch next the gauge on the head light pod on handlebars... I saw a few that said it was for lights. Well mine sounds like it is locking in somthing. Like locking in 4wd but when I hit my awd button it works n locks in but is a different sound.. I have no idea what the hell that switch is doing but its diffently moving metal n locking somthing... it goes for like 5 to 6 seconds then makes a lock sound

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Picture?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whoops just ran the vin. Its a 2005 sportsman 700 efi ... no pic but I found a pic on Google that's the same spot n same switch claiming its headlight. Maybe its front e locker??

·
Registered
815 Posts
No pic

·
Registered
815 Posts
Probably the rear locker. Try turning sharp and see if the inside rear spins. Then click it and see.
You may be lucky and have the ability to unlock it

·
Registered
164 Posts
The one in the picture you put up is for the rear lights. My 550 XP has the same button and it turns in rear lights.

·
Registered
75 Posts
On my 07 EFI deluxe that switch turns on the rear work lights.

·
Registered
7,464 Posts
If switch is on the left.... factory wired rear work lights. Is switch is on the right..... usually wired for heated grips and thumb warmers.

When you flip your switch on, do the rear work lights come on?

Likely not for a "front Locker".... as the Polaris AWD system doesn't work that way.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
my 05 it is the rear lights
and it might fireup the flux capacitor for Hyper jump

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Didn't some models have a turf mode that unlocked the rear diff? Not sure what that switch looks like. Easiest thing to do is pop the pod apart and follow the wires.

·
11,162 Posts
What's happened to the OP of this thread? Did the work lights come on and now he's not going to respond anymore?...LOL...:chairfall:
The turf mode rear differential was on 2up machines and Rangers. If he in fact is hearing a mechanical "click" upon using the switch, the PO could have installed one in his machine and hooked it up to the work light switch since it would be a convenient way to energize it. An easy way to tell would be to see if any wires run into the rear differential.
Where are you OP???

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Rear diff lock I suppose?? I recommend that you come to a complete stop before using that switch. Be happy thats a good upgrade. Great to be able to unlock the rear diff when your running on asphalt or on your lawn.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for help the guys... yea its rear diff lock. and ill make sure but honstly ill probley always keep it on. i only trail ride nothing else no reason to turn it off lol

·
Registered
495 Posts
On my 06 800 EFI, it turns on what look like back up lights. Now, I have to track down why the brake/guide lights don't work....sigh...
(Just picked it up, haven't had the chance to go through it yet)

·
Registered
815 Posts
BAM! I called it, rear locker lol :biglaugh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts