Polaris ATV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Anybody here who knows if there is any Connections or so needs to be disconnected before welding on the machine?

Polaris 850XP -12

·
Registered
737 Posts
I usually disconnect the battery and just like rick said put the ground close to where the welding is taking place.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
same as what they said, just have the ground as close to the weld as you can, and disconnect all important electronics.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Factory service manual stated to always disconnect the ECM. Its an additional fifteen minutes to disconnect it so why not?

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Factory service manual stated to always disconnect the ECM. Its an additional fifteen minutes to disconnect it so why not?
Sure, can not hurt.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've welded on hundreds, and I do mean hundreds of vehicles including my own CL65 and have never once disconnected a battery or ECU to mig weld on a vehicle. Never had an issue (OK, once caught a Camaro on fire, long story) but no electrical issues. I'm not afraid to weld on my own $180K Mercedes with 8 computers so I don't think you should you be worried about your ATV.

·
Registered
39 Posts
U don't need to disconnect anything because the current only goes from the ground to where you are welding

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
450 Posts
It doesn't hurt to disconnect the + & - leads of the battery. Also doesn't hurt to disconnect the ECU. Sure, it might take you an extra 15 minutes or so, but on the off chance that something goes awry... You'll be wishing you had....

The ECU on the XP's is mounted on the upper frame crossmember in front of the radiator. You can see part of it in the lower left corner of this pic. I believe you should be able to disconnect the plug on the ECU itself... Never tried it though.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry jgcoastie's

That is the voltage regulator/rectifier

The ECU is mounted on the left side of the air box under the plastic

·
Registered
450 Posts
Sorry jgcoastie's

That is the voltage regulator/rectifier

The ECU is mounted on the left side of the air box under the plastic
Oops... Appears I was wrong! Thanks for posting that correction Vibe!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts